XFCE 4.16 released

Discussion of software apps
bin

Re: XFCE 4.16 released

Post by bin »

I see the latest alpha of Emmabuntus incorprates 4.16... might take look.
bin

Post by bin »

Well, I've had look at Emmabuntus with XFCE 4.16.
Never tried that distro before and I am impressed with the thought that has gone in to building it.
The choice of software is wide ranging and actually incorporates my 4 main tools already - Darktable, GIMP, Scribus and Inkscape.
WINE is pre-installed and miraculously PlayonLinux is now working again too.

BUT - and it's a big but - XFCE 4.16 is no longer part of my future. None of my themes work properly in the new all GTK3 world. The only real killer is these stupid pencil thin rounded end scroll bars. I can just about put up with them in DT but everywhere? It seems to work OK - no obvious horrids and not a lot of difference overall between 4.12 and 4.16.
I have tried all sorts of fiddling with css but quite frankly just do not have the patience to unravel the seemingly endless knot of links and @s and whatever else they used to create it.

The good news is that LXDE still works quite happily with the odd exception. Of course there's also vanilla TDE as well.....
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

I havent looked at Emmabuntu in quite some time so may give it a look. I just saw 4.16 for the first time last night and I see what you mean about some of the issues. Its really hard for me after using KDE to go back to XFCE but I do like MX Linux version just a bit. I can tolerate Mate and Cinnamon but thats about it.
I do like LXDE still but havent used it recently. TDE still has too many issues for my taste.
Site Moderator
bin

Post by bin »

I did discover an interesting issue with LXDE under Bullseye and that is a bug in pcmanfm which causes a 90 second hang on reboot or shutdown.
Log out and shutdown is fine but hangs if shutting down direct from UI.
There is a patch but whether it will make it to Debian??
I could just dump pcmanfm and use thunar but I do like my desktop icons :)
The thing that gets me with MX is that they have mucked about with the interface and the tools - and than come up with more tools to set it back to the vanilla starting point - seems a waste of effort.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

I actually preferred MX Linux !8 over 19 as the latter made some stupid decisions but honestly the KDE version is really nice to use.
Site Moderator