KDE photo management application help.

Discussion of software apps
wove

KDE photo management application help.

Post by wove »

Photo management software I use on Mac, Windows, and Gnome(gtk) read and write tags/keywords to exif metadata. This means I can move photos from one system to another and have them arrive on the new system easily sortable and searchable. I have not been able to find a KDE/TDE photo manager that can use exif metadata for tags/keywords. DigiKam is the only KDE app I have found that actually exposes the tag/keyword metadata in the exif and it does not seem to be able to use it. The KDE photo manager applications I have tried require you to create tags/keywords, which they must store in their own database seperate from the actual photos.

Currently I use Shotwell, which is a GTK application but runs alright on KDE and TDE, but I would really like to find a KDE application that use the tags I have created for my Photos in other OSes. If you have any ideas either for a KDE application that would do this or a method for a KDE photo application to make use of the tag/keyword metadata from the exif data please let me know.

bill
bin

Re: KDE photo management application help.

Post by bin »

Cannot help with a KDE app as I won't use. However, if you can get along with a Qt based app instead then the solution I use is XNViewMP https://www.xnview.com/en/xnviewmp/#downloads

It's a good general photo viewer - great for quick weeding before heading off to ART for the fine work.

I have not been able to find another linux app that will do it in an otherwise simple GUI.

I suggest you use Layout 3 from View>Layout menu
Select photo(s)>right click>Edit IPTC/XMP
Use top caption box to enter description/title
Use top Keywords box to enter tags.
Then click Write or Write All as required.
This info survives upload to Flickr and other cloud systems so it seems to do the job.
wove

Re: KDE photo management application help.

Post by wove »

Thanks for the reply, XnView looks like it might do the trick. It only runs on x86/64 and at the moment I do not have any hardware based on that architecture. My linux machines at the moment are all arm based. I bought a pile of pieces that once was a Thinkpad X240 and am slowly getting it back to 100%. I am actually very fast at that, but package services from China are very slow at getting me parts.

bill