Trinity Desktop upgraded to 14.0.9

Discussion of software apps
wove

Re: Trinity Desktop upgraded to 14.0.9

Post by wove »

No that was referring to an update done on the Trinity desktop installed on top of the CLI version of Raspberry Pi OS. I just stuck in my SD card with Q4OS for Raspberry Pi. The Raspberry Pi OS had lots of updates, but there were no updates for Trinity Packages. I give kudos to Q4OS for its work on producing installers for ARM based systems. My only real complaints with them are that I really do not like their themeing and I am confused why they stick in so many software packages from other sources, when Trinity has equivalent functional packages.

I bought my Raspberry Pi to run RISC OS and that is mainly what I use it for. Q4OS was one of the first distros to produce an installer for the Pinebook Pro and that is how I came across Trinity and Q4OS.

bill
bin

Post by bin »

Installing 14.09 on top of Q4OS TDE could well cause a few things to go a bit awry due to their menu structure.

I always use Classic menu rather than Kickoff, but more importantly I also remove the symlink tde-applications in ~/.configtde/menus
This immediately gives you a standard TDE menu.

Also 14.09 does not recognise Q4OS sub config menu structure well. In fact it is the main reason I have more or less abandoned Q4 - having different config folders for different DE's is just a pain as not all applications recognise them. Also I tend to migrate configs bewteen distros and ttrying to work out which works where is just too much pain.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Its funny you bring this up bin as its one of many reasons I stopped using Q4OS TDE and got myself into some trouble over at their site for discussing my preference for KDE over TDE. I understand that most people over there use Q4OS because of TDE so anything you say tends to get their anger but obviously it isnt going t0 suit everyone(my relationship over there has been a running gun battle for quite some time). Q4OS KDE is nothing but Debian with some nice perks and a quicker install method which suits a lot of users.
Most of the other distros Ive tried use a standard TDE menu.
Site Moderator
wove

Post by wove »

I started with basic Armbian(based on Ubuntu Focal) on the Pinebook Pro and installed Trinity 14.0.9. It is a very nice update. The kind I really like, everything seems the same, but stuff that did not work is working. The volume keys and brightness keys are working.

Sleep and wake are still not functional, but that true with everything Armbian. Overall Trinity with save session option on boots up quick enough that it is only a minor bother. On batteries run time are 8-10 hours which is good.

bill