Discussion of software apps
crosscourt

11 best free and open source Linux system profilers

Post by crosscourt »

Site Moderator
tlmiller

Re: 11 best free and open source Linux system profilers

Post by tlmiller »

So, this is one that I actually can speak to a lot of these as I've used most of them...

inxi I think we ALL use this one. Might not be the prettiest, but probably one of the easiest, and most configurable.

Neofetch Has more information about the user space and such than inxi by default, but is so much more complex than inxi to show everything or customize that I VASTLY prefer inxi. But if you're the ultimate tweaker, there are a TON of options on this, and it is a much prettier way of showing it.

CPU-X This is a FANTASTIC looking one if you like the nice CPU-Z style layout. Has had some serious issues from time to time. It's now available in 20.04 Ubuntu, and is available in Debian Bullseye & SID as well. So gaining popularity.

HardInfo I don't like this one. Too many screens, archaic layout, archaic "benchmarks" results, no ability to export your benchmarks to create a newer DB of your own systems.

I-Nex Not packaged for any distro that I'm aware of, and doesn't really do anything better than CPU-X IMO.

dmidecode IMO, this is really more of a backend for these than a profiler in and of itself. But does have a lot of good information about the system regardless.

KInfoCenter Getting better. Mostly useless.

hwinfo At least on debian, must be run as root. Wall of text. Not impressed. As with lshw that's next, there's a lot of information, but unless you know exactly what you're looking for and pipe the output through grep or less, it's basically just too much nonsense.

lshw inxi prettier, inxi easier to read. Never was impressed. It DOES give you an absolute wall of information, but unless you know exactly what you want, it's basically unreadable.

i7z I'll admit I've never even HEARD of this one.

CPU-G I've never actually gotten this to work. Haven't tried recently, either. Not being packaged for any distro's that I'm aware of (I'm sure it is in some) hurts it's use IMO.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

HardInfo is the only one Ive used extensively and it does everything I need. I dont use it for benchmarks and dont export results. Its a good app for average users.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

At the end of the day, I'd still disagree, it's such an ugly app that most "average" users would probably prefer one of the others simply because they look better if they knew there were a choice. Hardinfo has needed a gui makeover for over a decade. It's just 10 years ago the quantity of competitors for gui system profilers was...oh yeah, zilch. So being ugly didn't matter when it was one of a kind!! :D
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

So I just happened to update Void, and for s's and giggles decided to look which ones of these are available. inxi (obviously), hardinfo, lshw, neofetch, and cpu-x. Really shocked that such a small repo distro such as Void would have cpu-x in their repos. And not the xbps-src add-ons, but the base repos!! Weird (IMO).

Also, gotta say, cpu-x LOOKS a lot better than when I was last using it, by a LOT. It now includes the AMD logo on AMD processors (only had Intel when I used it previously), CORRECTLY got the processor lithography correct for this machine (12nm) which it used to get a lot of cpu's wrong (mind you, it's only 1 machine here), and it doesn't (so far) crash!
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Looks to me, just isnt that important as long as its clear enough to use,understand and gets the job done.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

To you, yes. But you specifically said "the average user". And the average user if 2 products are identical in features and ease of use but 1 is ugly and the other is nice looking, guess which they'll prefer more often than not?
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Work with average users and seniors all the time and frankly they dont care. Most wouldnt even use a profiler unless it was mentioned and their expectations are quite low. As long as its got a GUI and they can navigate theyll be fine. Certainly Ill recommend apps that are easy to use but they make the final decision themselves.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

Well, obviously they won't usually need one, I'm just pointing out the flaw in your logic. You give them one, and they're fine. But find an average user on the street. Give them 2 apps. Just as easy to use, just as much functionality. 1 looks like hardinfo, 1 looks like cpu-x. Guess which one said average user is going to choose almost every single time? Just because YOU don't care, doesn't change that the "average" user will go for pretty if functionality and ease of use is the same in software. Just as you CONSTANTLY point out that my use case is different, guess what, so is yours. To the AVERAGE USER, pretty DOES make decisions if functionality, price, and ease of use is identical. This has been proven over and over and over again in the computing industry.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Ive used many nice looking apps with beautiful GUIs that dont work worth a darn. Visually the better looking GUI may attract some users but others may see the apps as they are and like them. Theres no flaw in the logic, people just have a wide range of tastes, perspectives and needs. Ill let them make that decision and for myself I use a profiler rarely and hardinfo suits those limited needs just fine. In regards to Linux Im an average user as I dont spend a lot of time with it like I use to for a variety of reasons. My experience is just different from yours and I always care both about my needs and the needs of my client.
Site Moderator