Now and then: The development of six lean desktop environments

Discussion of software apps
wove

Re: Now and then: The development of six lean desktop environments

Post by wove »

Of all of those the only one that interested me was Etoile (sorry I never figured out how to do accented letters in Linux). The project did die quickly.

A few weeks back I was reminded of it when I tripped across a FuryBSD build with GNUstep. <https://github.com/probonopd/LIVEstep> There is no mention in the readme about Etoile, but I wondered if it might be drawing some inspiration for the old project. Or it might just be it was picked up as a new idea.

bill
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

I thought Rox was kinda cool back in the day, I recall it had some really innovative features.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Wasnt aware of many of those except for LXDE and XFCE.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

I've never used or even heard of EDE previously. The rest I'd heard of, but I don't believe I ever used Étoilé. I had no idea FVWM-crystal was still in development, I may need to install that on something to see how it's went. FVWM was always IMO one of the best Window Managers for "just working" and being usable out of the box. Not fancy, not sexy, but just worked. FVWM-Crystal took that and made it sexy (attempted to, at least, back pre-2010 it wasn't all that great).