Ksnip has been added into the Debian repos...

Discussion of software apps
tlmiller

Ksnip has been added into the Debian repos...

Post by tlmiller »

So, may or may not have mentioned at some point I dropped using Spectacle for screenshots and moved to Ksnip. Overall it supports all the same features, but it also includes tools for doing very limited editing after taking (cropping, rotation, adding text, lines, arrows, circles, etc.) the screenshot, so it's overall a much more powerful tool than Spectacle. I've been keeping it manually updated via downloads directly from the github project page, but ksnip is now available in SID, so there's a good chance that in a couple weeks it'll be available in bullseye as well!! It'll never make it into buster (unless someone decides to backport it, which should be easy enough if someone decides to), but Debian 11 it should be available to install normally as another option.
crosscourt

Re: Ksnip has been added into the Debian repos...

Post by crosscourt »

I only use one Debian based distro but I use Shutter with my Ubuntu based distros.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

crosscourt wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 2:38 am I only use one Debian based distro but I use Shutter with my Ubuntu based distros.
Shutter was removed from Debian with 10.0, that's what I used to use back in KDE 4.x days, and the earlier days of KDE 5.x.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Shutter is great and easy to use.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

I used to like it, but it's kinda big. It's also been removed now from Ubuntu 20.04, so it's actually not as easy to install anymore. Comparatively ksnip is quite svelte, and obviously using KDE it integrated better being based on QT instead of GTK. That's honestly the biggest part for me, is the fact that it integrated well. Both Debian and Ubuntu have no plans to re-introduce shutter until it's moved from it's archaic GTK 2 to GTK 3.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Ubuntu has its own screenshot app now. Shutter was updated in July 2020 to fix quite a few issues. A PPA is available and I believe theres a snap package for it as well. Its still very popular among a variety of users.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

Well of course, the Ubuntu screenshot app kinda blows. I tried it out and it was an almost immediate replacement with shutter (back when I was trying to force myself to use Ubuntu to get used to it).