Falkon web browser

Discussion of software apps
wove

Falkon web browser

Post by wove »

Konqueror works rather poorly on the Fedora distro, so I decided to give Falkon a try. Falkon works quiet well. It uses more resources than Konqueror, with just this site open it shows 3% CPU usage and ~100MB of memory. It integrates with the Kwallet system, has a built in ad blocker and of course fits nicely with KDE themeing and workflow.

I use Firefox for secure stuff like banking, purchasing and sensitive form filling out. I always do like a lighter quicker and easier browser to just open and use for just opening this and that. Something quick to open RSS and email links. Falkon is well suited to that task. It is good to see that KDE has a nicely functional browser.

bill
crosscourt

Re: Falkon web browser

Post by crosscourt »

I use to use Falkon when it was Qupzilla. With my hardware I rarely need to use a lightweight browser but I use to use Midori a lot with my much older hardware.
Konquerer has never worked well for me so I still stick to Firefox.
Site Moderator
wove

Post by wove »

Looking a Ksysguard just a few minutes ago, I noticed that Falkon, with 5 tabs open, was using about 40% less Memory than Firefox which just had one tab open. Firefox was minimized and I had forgot is was even open, so its tab was a site I had visited several hour earlier.

I just went ahead and set Falkon as my default browser and unpinned Firefox from the task manager.

bill
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

I tested Falkon versus Firefox and overall Falkon uses about 20% less memory. In your case leaving that Firefox tab open for so long may have skewed the memory usage a bit.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

The problem I have with Falkon is that it doesn't really support ANY plugins. So while the browser in and of itself is ok, it's not really usable to me as there's just too much missing in the overall experience. No bitbucket, no umatrix, etc.
wove

Post by wove »

Add-ons are important and necessary for many but my browsing use has always been just home use and the only extension I have installed is Ublock Origin on Firefox and the system integration add-ons that KDE and/or Gnome use. gtkwebkit and khtml or kdewebkit is always installed for use by the system so Falkon is only a 4MB download. Technically I suppose the rational is bogus BS, but it does fit my view of keeping things small and simple.

bill
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

OH yeah, for some it would totally work. I'm one of the rare people that I literally don't know my password for any site I use. They're all stored in a password manager, and each site is a unique password that's 20+ digits random complex. So I need BitWarden to do anything than merely consume.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

I use very few add-ons but Firefox design really suits me.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

crosscourt wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 5:38 pm I use very few add-ons but Firefox design really suits me.
While I love to test things out, I do admit I'm in agreement there. Firefox REALLY suits my likes right out of the box. Add bitwarden (so I can log into pages) and umatrix (so ads don't murderize me) and that's all I need. I install a couple more plugins to make it perfect (mouse gestures and user agent switcher), but those aren't necessary, just nice.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Ive treid quite a few browsers and nothing really matches up to Firefox for me.
Site Moderator