crosscourt

Best free and open source music players

Post by crosscourt »

Site Moderator
tlmiller

Re: Best free and open source music players

Post by tlmiller »

I gotta disagree with them on a few.

The current version of Strawberry has some DB access problems (SUPER slow when rebuilding/refreshing DB) that Clementine doesn't have, no way would I rank Strawberry above Clementine for that reason (once they fix this issue, yes, I'd agree).
I wasn't impressed with yarock, I used it for a while, it was...underwhelming IMO.
Amarok is just so huge and ungainly anymore causing it to be rather slow, I can't see how anyone rates it highly.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

They didnt rate Strawberry a lot higher than Clementine but I also prefer Strawberry over Clementine. Dont like yarock or Amarok but do enjoy Audacious
particularly on my older hardware.

I use to use Exaile and it was quite good but not so much recently. I use Rhythmbox a lot as its included with many of the Ubuntu based distros and havent had any major problems.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

It's weird that Strawberry still hasn't replaced Clementine on Ubuntu as the default KDE player (or for that matter even avaiable in the repos) given how aggressive they usually are at purging software that's been forked and replaced. I like Clementine, and obviously right now it's a TON faster due to Strawberries issues with DB's, but that'll pass and Strawberry is a lighter build with (mostly) all the same options so is a superior solution going forward. It's just really crap right at this moment.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

I like Clementine but Strawberry is lighter and for my needs works fine.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

Given that Clementine isn't actively developed anymore (security patches only), at some point everyone will NEED to make the switch...
wove

Post by wove »

I had not heard of Strawberry before. I gave it a look and on Fedora it looks just like Clementine. About all I ever do with a music app is listen to internet radio, which leaves many music apps way over the top for my needs. Many music apps I have looked at do not even play radio streams, often just tieing into a music service.

On Haiku/BeOS to play music you just drop songs or folders of songs on the player app and it plays them. The same holds for a url; just drop the url on the player and it opens it and plays it. I would love to find a linux app that operates similiary.

bill
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

I wanna say there's multiple that can do that on linux. Doesn't some of the xmms clones work like that? Or am I remembering wrong?
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Sounds nice but the apps as they are now are pretty easy to use in most cases.
Site Moderator