KDE 5.19 released

Discussion of software apps
wove

Re: KDE 5.19 released

Post by wove »

Manjaro for the Pinebook Pro updated to KDE 5.19 and updated the kernel to 5.7. The 5.7 kernel is the first kernel to have built in support for the Pinebook Pro. I just do what I always do with a computer, so I really do not notice any difference with the new KDE version. It does run well. Akregator still does not work which vexes me greatly.

bill
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

I was waiting for a post from you after I saw the 5.7 kernel went mainstream yesterday, wove. The only change I sawwith 5.19 was when using my wifi connection, as it has a drop down menu that shows the recent connectivity rates.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

Has akregator EVER worked? I know I've been uninstalling that for like 6 years now because I've never seen it actually work.
wove

Post by wove »

I have never had trouble with Akregator on x86 systems. I have tried to track down what is causing it to hang and I think I have found the problem, but am at something of a loss to fix it. Akregator relies on Metakit for its backend database. Metakit is part of tcl and it appears to never have been compiled for arm64. That is why it was working in the first builds of Q4OS which used armhf, but their latest uses arm64.

Also in Manjaro metakit is not even installed and I am not sure why pacman does not see metakit as a dependency. I did find metakit as a stand alone package in AUR, and modified the build script to create an arm64 version, it compiled and installed without any errors, but Akregator still did not work. The build packages brings in metakit source from 2017 and I am just guessing it perhaps is no longer compatible with newer versions of tcl.

Debian has a metakit deb, but not for arm64, when I tried to find the source to see about building an arm64 version it takes me to a 404. At that point I decided to give it a rest for a few days.

bill
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

5.19.1 released yesterday.

More here.

I don't really see a difference, which is at this point par for the course, but seems all the bugs (at least all the ones I was having) of 5.19 are gone at this point.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Saw it as I got some updates yesterday but got 5.19.1 this morning when I went to work. No differences I can see and I had no issues to begin with.
I only use Neon at work, Im running Mint 20 Cinnamon at home.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

I'm ecstatic to have battery icons on my machines again. :D
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Spoke too soon as the battery icon disappeared after I updated today. So I went to add widgets and added the battery/brightness widget onto the panel and its working fine.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Now that Mint 20 is set to release I can get 5.19 on Feren OS as I dont use Neon any more.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

Oh, good to hear that Feren updated to current. Might try it on the T470.