Spectre and Meltdown checker

Discussion of software apps
dai_trying

Spectre and Meltdown checker

Post by dai_trying »

I came across this script on github (via MX Linux forum) and wondered if anybody has tried it on machines they know to be vulnerable/patched to see the results.
crosscourt

Re: Spectre and Meltdowd checker

Post by crosscourt »

The problem is many systems arent getting fixes, so be sure if youre system has been targeted for support be sure to install patches, preferably including a bios update.
For most users they will be running unprotected for the foreseeable future and 32bit systems/OS will probably never see any patches.
Site Moderator
dai_trying

Post by dai_trying »

Thanks, I'll take a look at the Dell one, but I would assume it's just for Windows right?
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

oops! Changed my post but yes its for Windows. A lot of good checkers for Windows like Ashampoo but the only real way to make sure your protected is to do a bios update for the processor. Intel intends to solve the situation in hardware this year whether its by changes to cpu design or bios updates to affect present cpus. Ivy Bridge is as far back as bios updates are going so if youre using older hardware at least upgrade to that level so you can get support and the hardware is cheap to buy such as on Ebay.

MX Linux forums are great!
Site Moderator
JimW

Post by JimW »

Ok. As long as I have been interested in computers (before the Altair 8080) I cannot recall ever updating the BIOS of one. So, could one of you perhaps give a short tutorial on how to do that? How to get the new BIOS and how to install it?
dai_trying

Post by dai_trying »

I think Bios updates are quite a tricky subject with Linux, as they are usually (but not always) a windows executable that will do the work for you. I very recently updated my Laptop Bios (UEFI) and although it was a Windows executable I also have an option in my UEFI settings to apply updates by USB. I have not got this option on my other systems so I am guessing it is a new thing that Dell have introduced (When I say new I never have cutting edge machines).
This has made me curious about installing these updates though, so I will see if I can find any updates for this older Fujitsu machine that I regularly use and see if I can get it applied (if there is one available...) and post back here.
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

Modern Dell laptops can actually be flashed from their own bios. Just copy the update file to the /boot/efi partition, reboot, f12, choose firmware update, and choose the file. Best firmware updates there are IMO, as they're 100% OS agnostic. Before these models, you could use a freedos bootable USB to install updates, which is still easily done from a linux machine.

Lenovo can update from USB, which can be made in linux. Download the .iso instead of the exe, and it does require an extra step before writing it to USB via dd.

HP is hit and miss. They don't follow a consistent policy. Some have the ability to update via usb, some must be done via Windows.

Acer I haven't seen any that can be updated other than Windows. I haven't really watched Acer closely, so I may be wrong.

No idea about any of the other OEM's out there.
dai_trying

Post by dai_trying »

Just for kicks I tested using a freedos formatted USB stick (using Rufus in Windows following this "how to geek" guide) and applying a bios update to my Optiplex 380 (current BIOS A05 2010) and have changed it to Bios Version A07 13/06/2012. Obviously this will have no effect on any Spectre/Meltdown issues but it is updated none the less, and I just had to execute the Bios update file from the c:/ prompt (Oh the memories...).
But like tlmiller says it can be hit and miss with some vendors and is another reason to like Dell machines :D
JimW

Post by JimW »

Maybe I'm prejudiced, but Dell machines are all I have ever had. :)

I'll study these suggestions a bit, and hope they come out with a fix for the Optiplex 380 that I have. (haven't checked current Bios version yet)
Thanks!
dai_trying

Post by dai_trying »

The latest version available from dell at the moment is A07 which was released mid 2012 and updated March 2014. I will keep an eye open for future fixes, but due to it's age I'm guessing it might not happen...