Discussion of software apps
crosscourt

Moving to Linux from dated Windows machines

Post by crosscourt »

Site Moderator
tlmiller

Re: Moving to Linux from dated Windows machines

Post by tlmiller »

I like the fact that this is from an OnlyOffice employee. And they're right about OnlyOffice being great for linux users, I have it on every linux machine I own, and in fact every Windows machine as well. Even though I have a 6-seat license of SoftMaker Office Pro 2016 (soon to upgrade 1 of the 2 licenses to a 5-seat license of 2018 pro), I still keep OnlyOffice because it's actually even better with MS Excel compatibility than SoftMaker.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Going to give OnlyOffice a look but I thought you might enjoy this article.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Just did an install of Ubuntu Mate 16.04.3 on a Dell Vostro 230 business desktop that was running Windows 7 and what a difference. Even though its using an e8500 3.1ghz cpu with 4gb of ram it was a bit sluggish but not slow with Win 7. With Ubuntu Mate installed it flies and no longer lingers wityh certain tasks or downloads. Its fast and very responsive with far less overhead. Win7 used around 1gb-1.4gb of ram at main screen, Ubuntu Mate uses 260-300mb and cpu utilization is lower with Ubuntu Mate as well and resources are recovered faster.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Worked on a WinXP system today and the hardware wasnt top notch, Pentium 3 1.2 tutalatin with 1gb of ram and an older IDE drive. It was sluggish and even after cleaning and correcting some issues, it wasnt performing well. We are going to try Linux on this system and see how it goes.
Site Moderator