crosscourt

Introduction to app packages on Linux

Post by crosscourt »

Site Moderator
tlmiller

Re: Introduction to app packages on Linux

Post by tlmiller »

IMO:

Snap: released by canonical because they can never just contribute to someone else's work, and must always attempt to reinvent the wheel (see unity desktop instead of Gnome3, MIR compositor instead of Wayland, Upstart instead of SystemD). Hopefully these follow those other Canonical projects into a shallow grave. They're not a good design from a security perspective, they don't work on my domain computers since we don't use /home/<user> as the home directory, and so I thoroughly detest them. Also completely dependent upon the internet to function, so an online-only applications (last I read, this may have changed)

Flatpak: Currently not very well implemented. If properly implemented, these have GREAT security features. They're huge compared to repository installed software, but they have a lot of advantages in theory. Also can theoretically allow you to run multiple versions of the same software simultaneously. So great possibilities if enough people got behind them.

Appimage: OH, dear god. Why. Windows behavior in linux. Please, make them go away. I will NEVER touch an appimage. Beyond the "download executable from random place on internet and use it", they also don't properly install and integrate into your system, so they make OK for portable apps to be run on like a live system, but I cannot trust that Windows way of downloading from just SOMEWHERE and trusting some random person on the internet didn't inject malware into the exectuable.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Its all a wait and see for me as Ill stick to the repo style for now.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

For the most part I do as well. I do use Flatpaks to get newer software for a few packages that I really want the newest version instead of the packaged version with some OS's.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

OnlyOffice was the only one Ive run using Flatpak.
Site Moderator