LibreOffice 6.3 released

Discussion of software apps
crosscourt

Re: LibreOffice 6.3 released

Post by crosscourt »

Good to know as Ill try it down the road. Eventually it appears many distros like Ubuntu are heading in this direction solely but not right away.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

If you have sufficient storage space so you don't have to worry about the fact that depending on the program, it's anywhere from 50% - 200% GREATER than the size of the distro-bundled version of the software, I like flatpak. Works well, easy to manage, and so far I haven't had a single crash in any flatpak bundled software. Plus flatpak is ran in a sandboxed environment so is actually safer from malware than a "normal" installed program. I'm not a fan of the competition, however. Snap doesn't work if users home is anything other than /home/user, so I can't use it on the systems at work (I have /home at /home/local/<DOMAIN>/<USER>). Appimage doesn't install. And isn't sandboxed, so if you get a compromised appimage, you have nothing to prevent it from reeking havoc on your system. But mostly I dislike that it doesn't install, doesn't integrate into the menu, just doesn't make it easy at all to run.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Tried Flatpak last night on Zorin 15 and installed Only Office to try, No issues.
Site Moderator