Discussion of software apps
crosscourt

LibreOffice 6.3 released

Post by crosscourt »

Site Moderator
crosscourt

Re: LibreOffice 6.3 released

Post by crosscourt »

Most of my distros have the 6.1.5 version.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

I'm on 6.2.5 on everything I have it installed on. But Arch should have 6.3 by the end of the week. Flatpak (which is every other distro I use except Arch) by the middle of next month.
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

Spoke too soon. Flatpak actually updated to 6.3 today, just got it on my Debian install on my Latitude 5289.

So far seems pretty good. Faster startup than I remember the 6.0/6.1being, but about the same speed opening as 6.2.x. UI looks about the same, but has more options for UI look. Overall, in my (exceedingly limited) testing thus far, I'd say it's a good release, but nothing earth shattering. It's definitely just a progressively better version of previous 6.x versions.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

How much are you using Flatpack out of curiosity?
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

I'm using it for several programs on Debian, Neon, and Fedora (hw-probe, pinta, libreoffice, gimp). Only on Arch am I not using it.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

I dont use it at all presently.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

I started using it due to Pinta really. Several months ago now, Pinta's ubuntu LTS (and therefore Neon) build was highly unstable. Would crash if you tried to do anything (would open fine, just couldn't actually use it). So I switched to the flatpak as it worked. Then I noticed libreoffice was newer version in flatpak than in Debian, Ubuntu, OR Fedora. So I switched that. Then I noticed Gimp was also newer version than in any of the 3 OS's (this was when FEdora was still 29, 30 is current gimp, but I'm sticking with flatpak). But it all started just because I wanted a WORKING version of Pinta (which has long since been fixed in Ubuntu, but I'm sticking to flatpak at this point).
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

I was curious as youve mentioned before that Flatpack installs some things that you couldnt, or didnt want to have to remove when you uninstall a Flatpack app.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

Yeah, that's no longer an issue. That was a problem with the version of flatpak installed on Debian 9, because of how old it was, it didn't actually handle removing entirely correct. With the newer versions of flatpak, it works as it should.