Discussion of software apps
crosscourt

WPS Office on Linux, free Microsoft Office alternative

Post by crosscourt »

Site Moderator
tlmiller

Re: WPS Office on Linux, free Microsoft Office alternative

Post by tlmiller »

Good timing for them to review it since WPS had just released a new version earlier this month.

Sadly, it's still not exactly an amazing office suite. Interface still looks very similar to the modern version of O365, which is a positive if you're coming from MS. Still does weird things in writer like reversing font/background colors. Formatting of MS openxml documents still not perfect, and still in what testing I had done when it was released was inferior to FreeOffice, and probably inferior even to LibreOffice 6.2. Speed it is better than LibreOffice, but no better than FreeOffice.

Overall, a decent alternative if your most important feature is that it looks and acts like MS Office. Otherwise, better can be had for the same price.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Totally agree as FreeOffice for me has been the best choice but if they could get their act together, I could see WPS becoming popular.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

So, found another negative for WPS Office. At least on Debian, with WPS installed xlsx files are recognized as .zip files, and so open with whatever your archiver is. If you set them to open with an office application, then .zip files will attempt to open with the office app. Uninstall WPS, and everything works correctly.

I think I'm going to stop even bothering testing WPS at this point.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

I kept hoping things might improve but havent used it for quite awhile.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

I've generally always kept it installed on one of my machines. Recently it was on the 3379, but right now I've removed it. Too irritating that I was working on some spreadsheets yesterday and it was causing no end of issues. I'm sure at some point I'll try it again simply because I have so many machines available for testing. But it will be at least next version. This version just has TOO MANY issues.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Hoping they eventually get it right.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

The funny thing is, if you go back to 2012 or so, Kingsoft Office (the precursor to WPS) WAS the best linux office suite!! FreeOffice at the time lacked a LOT of features (although it did already have pretty decent compatibility with MS), SoftMaker of course worked well and had the features that FreeOffice lacked, but it was, and is, not free as in beer like most and so will turn some away (this is the first version of SoftMaker Office I purchased). OpenOffice worked well in a silo, but had HORRIBLE compatibility with MS. LibreOffice at the time was very new, and was mostly still identical to OpenOffice, and was no better at compatibility, either. And most of the others that were available back then I've forgotten about.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Makes you wonder what happened.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

It does at that.