2 OLD COMPUTERS

Discussion of hardware related issues
crosscourt

Re: 2 OLD COMPUTERS

Post by crosscourt »

Legacy OS hasnt had a new release since 2014 so my guess is this distro isnt getting much support thus some things dont work. Use Puppy if youre looking for a long term supported distro.
Site Moderator
CaptNoize

Post by CaptNoize »

I thought the final release of Legacy OS was 2017....according to their website.... At any rate... It doesn't matter, I'm done messing with them. This is why I bought fairly new machines so I didn't have to deal with the aggravation. Thanks for your input,tho..! :D
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Our machines will be fine for awhile.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

I honestly feel the whole breakneck pace of OS improvements has more or less went away completely in the last 5-8 years. Windows Vista/Gnome 3/KDE 4 were the last "computer killer" interfaces. WIndows 7 was significantly better performance on Windows Vista hardware than Vista was. Windows 8 was to be ignored, Windows 10 again performs pretty much the same or even slightly better on Windows 7 hardware than Windows 7 did. Plasma 5 upon release was ALREADY better performance (if you could keep it from crashing) than KDE 4. The difference is much more pronounced now that Plasma is stable. The pc's that came out towards the end of the core2 timeframe may not be the fastest in the world, but at this point there is no PERFORMANCE reason to stop using them. Slowly a lot of the hardware is having it's support phased out (video cards, mostly), so that it's harder to run that hardware, but if it's still supported, there's nothing wrong with the performance. I can see this changing in a couple years with the leap that Ryzen & 8th gen Core took in performance, which would allow for a rather significant jump in requirements...but no sign that it's going to happen yet, as KDE continues to try to optimize thier software for performance, Windows continues to do the same, and Gnome...well...they're just plain special and I don't know that their desktop will ever be worth using.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Core2s are fine(depending on their speed as my 1.3ghz laptop versions really struggled) actually but the 2005 or later cpus really haver issues trying to run things on online. My last Pentium 4 system really struggled compared to my early Conroe system. Pentium Ds can do it but the pc my boss has has a lot of issues with speed.

Running Linux I can extend the life of my systems for quite some time.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

Always hated the Pentium-D. Even though it was the first (common consumer level) that had SMT capability (on certain models), I just always hated it.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Same here, hated Pentium D and in fact during that period the high end Pentium 4s 3.2-3.8ghz actually outperformed it. I remember using a Pentium D and the system felt very slow until I added a 3.6ghz P4.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

The Pentium D almost drove me completely to AMD, but by the time I tried to switch, Conroe showed up and that was that.

I also stand corrected as Capt was right that Legacy OS last release was in 2017 but nothing since.
Site Moderator
CaptNoize

Post by CaptNoize »

By the way...I,.. for some reason,really LIKE Legacy OS..! It's so simplistic...yet it just WORKS...! And it's amazing how many features it has...!! :lol: :D
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

Being based on Puppy, should be fast. That's the one thing that Puppy was the first (popular) live distro to mange, be faster than anything else. Being made for older, slower computers, it's really well engineered to get the most out of a minimal amount of power.