2 OLD COMPUTERS

Discussion of hardware related issues
CaptNoize

Re: 2 OLD COMPUTERS

Post by CaptNoize »

Great...! Thanks so much...! I'll have to do a few changes,but at least I can save these for someone who can't afford a computer. ;)
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

They arent secure in any way so they arent really a viable choice, particularly for financial transactions online.
Site Moderator
CaptNoize

Post by CaptNoize »

So, Vivaldi,Midori, and Palemoon are the only ones I've found. Palemoon will be the one i go with..I've tried Midori..didn't like it at all. Haven't tried Vivaldi yet...If i get 2 good ones...I'll be happy. I downloaded Lubuntu 14.04.5-i386-iso I'll try it tomorrow.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Sorry I forgot to mention Vivaldi as it isnt one of my favorite browsers. Regardless of which browser you use the systems will still be inherently insecure because of the lack of security updates with the older distros. If all you do is surf and dont do any personal work or financials online youll probably be ok.
Site Moderator
CaptNoize

Post by CaptNoize »

Well...I downloaded Lubuntu 14.04.5 and 18.10 for 32 bit. I'll try the newer one first tomorrow,but if it doesn't work, I'll use the older one. I just realised that I'll have to download one of those browsers on my Optiplex,since no browser (FF) isn't working on the old machine. Then upload it to a flash drive, to get it on the unit...what a pain...... :x :x :x :evil:
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

I wouldnt use 18.10 I would use 18.04 if youre going to try it.
Site Moderator
CaptNoize

Post by CaptNoize »

OK...thanks..!
CaptNoize

Post by CaptNoize »

Nothing from Lubuntu would work...not even the oldest version.Deleted FF from the Ubuntu Studio computer,and loaded Midori from synaptic package manager. Midori crashes also. Everything else works...I think it's a server issue with these. I ended up putting Legacy OS on the other computer. Installed it and works fine. Internet issue tho...it uses Opera,..and all i get is an Error code,when trying to get on the internet. Same with Konqueror,on it.all other functions work.Since I'm not going to use these,I didn't pursue a fix. I will be donating them to someone who needs a computer,so that's when I'll set up the email and browsers.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Legacy OS is based on Puppy Linux so no wonder it worked well. I use Legacy OS on my some of my older Pentium 3 systems. Opera wont work with your system same as Chrome/Chromium and Konqueror.

I only use the much older Lubuntu like 12.04 as newer versions have too many issues but occasionally 14.04 works. Xubuntu I find is a bit better choice but the older Mint versions work really well 10-14.
Site Moderator
CaptNoize

Post by CaptNoize »

So,knowing that Legacy OS and Mini 4 are going to be used on older machines( mostly 32 bit) why aren't the devs of this OS still using Opera as a browser..??? Why don't they change it to Palemoon, or Midori..? And Midori still doesn't work on the Ubuntu computer.... :x :x :x :evil: :evil: