2 OLD COMPUTERS

Discussion of hardware related issues
CaptNoize

2 OLD COMPUTERS

Post by CaptNoize »

So, I finally got around to hooking up these 2 old computers I was given back in Nov. These are 32 bit,1 gig of Ram ,and small HD's...(around 60-100 gig). Both are pretty nice shape,and have DVD players/recorders in them. The one has Windows Xp on it,solely. The other is a dual OS,Windows Xp and Ubuntu 14.02. They booted up,and ran well. So,I decided to install MX-18,32 bit on each. The first,took several tries trying to get it to just work. It finally loaded,but then the mouse wasn't working. After 3 more restarts, I clicked on installer. It started,and when I clicked on "use entire disk" a warning came up,saying, the drive was more likely to fail in the future, if I used entire disc. I clicked past that warning....but then, it locked up,at about 15% of the new install. This happened 2 twice,then I got pissed and unplugged it. So I tried the other one,everything went fine,till I had to enter a user name and a password ,and the end of the installment. I couldn't use the keyboard...I check all the connections,and even moved the USB connector to different ports.
So,..any ideas...? I have a feeling that the HD's are failing in these units...that's "why" they were "abandoned..... What's your thoughts...? :x :x :roll:
crosscourt

Re: 2 OLD COMPUTERS

Post by crosscourt »

Can you give us more info on these systems, like model or what kinds of cpu/motherboards they are using. Older hardware at times may need older kernels. The hard drive that got the failure warning I wouldnt waste any time with as it probably has issues already. Replacement drives are dirt cheap these days.

The other issue is due to older USB connections and many times even with Linux you can have compatibility issues depending on the kernel being used.You might want to enter the bios and check to see if the USB settings are correct and all ports are enabled.
Does the pc have PS2 connections as you could use that to diagnose the USB issue. I keep older keyboards/mice in case I have issues with USB.
You can also check the bios settings to be sure the USB settings are correct. Wireless keyboiards/mice also can have issues with older hardware so use wired connections till you sort out the problerm.

I keep a lot of parts to replace in older pcs to avoid cranky cd/dvd drives that dont want to read and many times just cleaning them will help them load properly.

Did these two computers work ok in live session with MX18?
Site Moderator
CaptNoize

Post by CaptNoize »

Didn't try them in the live sessions. The one computer has a 1.92 Ghz AMD Athlon CPU,1.5 gb of RAM,60 Gig Maxtor HD,500 watt power supply,NVidia GeForce FX5200,Sony DVD burner/player. I'll let you know what the other has,but I think it has the same Maxtor HD. The hardware worked on these in their working states..i.e. WindowsXp,...and Ubuntu/Windows Xp. But I ran into problems when I tried to change the OS in each. I truly think it's the HD's in both....they are old Maxtor's. Probably at the end of their lives. I have a new 160 gig HD. Maybe I'll see if I can find another HD.....but I think it's definitely the HD's :? :? :roll: :x
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

I always try the live session first as you can spot issues ahead of time and it allows you to diagnose to a point.

AMD Athlon 2600 XP 1.92ghz socket A cpu( really old cpu released in 2003) but which motherboard? Inside the system you should be able to read its model number and revision.
Socket A though you should be fine but using the live session to test your hardware including USB will give you an indication of whether it really is the hard drive or different hardware issue.
Site Moderator
CaptNoize

Post by CaptNoize »

The only number I can find on this board is a label....2A007304102. No revision number. The other computer has a AMD Athlon XP 2000+ CPU,1 gig of PC2700 RAM,HighPointe Technologies MOB. Maxtor 80 Gig HD, 1 DVDRAM GSA-H1ON JL10 burner,Generic DVD RW 8Max 1201 burner. I tried to install AntiX on it,which it took. After I got the new OS on it,and clicked "Reboot" after I took the ISO out,it went to CLI and kept asking me for the password...which I entered several times,then it wouldn't go any further....Ugh...! So, I've just put a brand new 250 Gig WD HD in it to try. I'll let you know the results later.
So,I tried the new HD in this computer. Same results. When I rebooted the system,it goes thru the test cycle and I get this message: LFENCE not serializing,switching to generic netpoline
can't set config#1 error -110
device descriptor read/64 error -110
it's keeps repeating that...
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

AntiX when you see the CLI and it doesnt move thru it to boot theres a driver/configuration issue. Second issue means the distro youre using isnt compatible with the hardware youve got.

You could try using an older distro, like Lubuntu 16.04.4 or Q4OS Orion 1.8 but its tough to diagnose this kind of issue without physically seeing the system. Im betting youre going to need an older kernel but given the age of those systems, is it really worth it?
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

If you're ok with it (I hate the OS), try Slackware 14.2...it's got one of the oldest still supported general purpose kernels of any non-server biased linux.
CaptNoize

Post by CaptNoize »

I tried Q4OS...neither worked at all. Perhaps Puppy Linux,or I do have an older version of Ubuntu Studio 14.04. Perhaps that will work. If not, I'll scrap them.... :roll:
chris

Post by chris »

Are you sure you're not trying a pae kernel on a non-pae machine?
More here. https://help.ubuntu.com/community/PAE
CaptNoize

Post by CaptNoize »

When either of the machines first load the OS, I can't even select any of the options. Each will load the kernel,and then it starts from there,to test the OS....the installer on the desktop is the only way to install the OS. :x