What hardware are you using?

Discussion of hardware related issues
tlmiller

Re: What hardware are you using?

Post by tlmiller »

Ah, for me the screen was far more of an issue, since I hate those 720p screens. The backlit keyboards are hard to find last time I looked (mine was), and I can't remember if they required a different cable or not...
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

My eyes arent what they use to be so the display was a bit less of an issue. The small compatibility issues with the E6440 swung me away from it being my favorite laptop.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

Here on the rebuilt (again) Latitude 3500. Now has a Pioneer APS-SE20G-1T 1TB NVME drive. I looked this up, and it's essentially a clone of the MyDigitalSSD BPX Pro/TeamGroup MP34/Corsair MP510/Silicon Power P34A80/a few other drives...

Phison E12 controller with Toshibs BICS3 (64-layer 3d TLC) NAND.

Works really well so far.
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

Have found one thing that I'm not a huge fan about for this laptop. The touchpad is nice and big, but I keep accidentally touching it with my left hand, which causes when I try to move my mouse it scrolls all over, zooms in and out, etc. Minor issue to have, and since it's overall a good touchpad it's definitely something that I can live with, but it makes me wonder why people complain about smaller touchpads.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

I rarely use my touchpad as a mouse is far easier to use.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

I've gotten used to using touchpads over the years, and RARELY ever use external mice on my laptops anymore.
dai_trying

Post by dai_trying »

I usually use a USB mouse when I'm home but on the move I use the touchpad, I wrote a small script a while back that detected when I had my USB mouse plugged in and disabled the touchpad as I often touch it when typing and end up either writing to the wrong window or some other weird things happening.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Was given a Dell E6430 with an I5 2.6ghz cpu and 4gb of ram, 320gb hard drive. Will up the ram to 8gb and add a SSD and off we go. Im hoping the E6430 is more like the E6420 as I havent been happy with the E6440 so far.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

Should be. The Exx30 was literally just a new motherboard to support Ivy Bridge instead of Sandy Bridge of the Exx20 line. They had nearly identical specs other than that. Most of the body panels were unchanged, LCD's were unchaged, even what all was supported from hardware accessories was unchaged (still not msata drives that came with the Haswell update).

Surprised the E6440 gave such issues though, I never had an issue with any of mine other than the last coming with the wrong LCD.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Just received it and it looks exactly like the E6420 including the same HD caddy. Lighted keyboard and same display, nice.
Site Moderator