What hardware are you using?

Discussion of hardware related issues
crosscourt

Re: What hardware are you using?

Post by crosscourt »

Dont game in Linux so wasnt aware of the issues your describing. I think that time will come for me down the road. Right now I have only one Linux system and 11 Win10 systems.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Just converted the Dell 4310 and 6440 over to Feren and Zorin instead of Win10. Going to use my older laptops as Linux test systems for the time being.

Not sure what direction Ill go down the road with Win11 so I might end up running Linux exclusively with my gaming system being the only Windows system.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Ive been running the Dell 3330 with Q4OS Gemini and Im really starting to like Q4OS. It runs very well and uses KDE 5.21.5. The only issue is it cant see my wifi USB adapter, so stuck with the slower wifi card.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Ended up running Q4OS Gemini on the Dell 4310 and that was a good match even though its processor is one year earlier than the 3330.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Will be installing Neon on my 4310 to get the newer KDE version but lets see how it does with an older system.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Ive been testing some of my favorite distros on my Dell 4310, the oldest of my laptop collection at 11 years. So far even with my most recent distro Zorin 16, everything runs fine and performance is excellent.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

I finally managed to put my T14 away after 3 days of frustration. On the desktop right now, thinking I might play some games since almost all my games are working in linux anymore.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Your desktop uses Win10 correct? So youre saying youre games actually arent working in Linux? Ive had no luck getting any of my games working Linux well enough to play. I only game in Win10 and its been a good experience.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

I have Win10 on my desktop, but currently actually booted into linux. Of the 4 games I ACTUALLY play (Star Wars: Empire at War Forces of Corruption, Sins of a Solar Empire: Corruption, Motorsport Manager, and Star Wars Rebellion), 3 of them work perfectly in Steam (flatpak install so I don't have to have multilib enabled) on linux. The 4th, Star Wars Rebellion, actually RUNS perfectly...but it will only run in a 640x480 window, so is essentially unplayable. I haven't bought a game outside Steam for a few years now, and more and more won't buy a game that isn't available on Steam, unless it's a NATIVE linux game.

I had started trying to replay We Happy Few a couple months ago, and that runs flawlessly on linux via Steam as well.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Im really picky about performance and features, particularly with my online team games so its hard for me to deal with Linux. Win10 did turn out to be a great gaming OS and runs my older games as well. Im not a fan of digital content and having to use services to buy and use games. Really waiting for streaming to catch hold down the road.
Site Moderator