What hardware are you using?

Discussion of hardware related issues
tlmiller

Re: What hardware are you using?

Post by tlmiller »

While I've never been a huge fan of membrane keyboards, I always thought the Dell U473D was pretty nice as far as OEM keyboards. Had one at an old job for a long while until I bought my own mechanical keyboard in.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Im not a huge fan of membrane keyboards either as all my gaming keyboards are mechanical but for everyday use I find many that like. Logitech has some nice ones and some of my older Dell keyboards still feel good and continue to work well.
Site Moderator
dai_trying

Post by dai_trying »

I'm working my way up the list and got a Ryzen 7 2700x Woohoo! Should have it all set up tonight as I was waiting for case to arrive and it came today. :D
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Itll be quite awhile before Im even close to be that current with hardware. For my present needs, what I have now works great and costs very little.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

dai_trying wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 4:24 pm I'm working my way up the list and got a Ryzen 7 2700x Woohoo! Should have it all set up tonight as I was waiting for case to arrive and it came today. :D
Impressive chip. I've got the 1700X and it totally impresses me. Should keep you from upgrading for quite some time unless you simply choose that you want to!!
dai_trying

Post by dai_trying »

:D I am going to put this one up for sale too, the plan I have come up with is to cost out my next machine from what I think I will get from selling my current machine, hopefully this will help me stay a bit further up the release cycle and without spending my own money :mrgreen:

I'm creating lists of parts, suppliers, costs and lead time to hopefully allow me to have a new machine in less than a week from selling the one I have, and as I also have my laptop which I use as my personal machine, it shouldn't cause me any inconvenience and after each sale I will (hopefully) increase the spec of what I own. Plus I have a few other old machines and laptops that I have to clear so if I can sell some of them it helps too.
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

Well, I finally figured out all the hardware issues with the Lenovo. TLP. I uninstalled TLP, and now bluetooth just works. USB works. Everything works. Plugged in and on battery. Not sure why TLP disables so much on battery on THIS hardware, but doesn't on ANY of my other hardware. Of course, with not running TLP, I'll have worse battery life, but it's necessary in order to have a functional laptop.

Although I have given up on upgrading this to an AX card due to the all the issues I was having. It'll stay with the Intel 9260AC + BT 5.0.

Got the AX200's in today though. Got one installed on the Latitude 3500, working perfectly. The other is setting awaiting the arrival the Latitude 7400 later this week. I'm fairly certain it came with a 9560 as well (which is my least favorite wifi card Intel makes, the 9560 is "controllerless", IE it uses the CPU for it's actual wifi controlling and the card is literally just an interface) so it'll get an AX200 wifi-6 AX swapped in.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Well my wife gave me her Chromebook Acer 14 as a present and Ive been using it quite a bit. The 1080P screen is amazing and I sat in bed yesterday all day with a sore back and watched UFO episodes. As an entertainment device its great but overall for general use I think its the nicest device Ive used in quite some time. 12 hours on the battery, and I powerwashed it and created my own account. It emails me if anything is going on with it and its lightning fast in use. Drawbacks, it needs more USB ports and has no ethernet port, but the wifi works very well. You can connect your printer by USB or wifi.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Looks like Im going to have two Acer Chromebook 14s as a friend is sending me one he was no longer using. Ill probably use that oe at work in my office.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

Thinking about maybe converting one of them into a full linux laptop?