What hardware are you using?

Discussion of hardware related issues
tlmiller

Re: What hardware are you using?

Post by tlmiller »

Depends on my floor. If it's a hard floor (tile, hardwoord, linoleum) I have no issues with a PC on the floor. If it's carpeting, then I try to avoid it (although my current desktop is setting on a carpeted floor due to lack of anywhere else it will fit).
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

90% of the pcs Ive worked on in peoples homes that sit on a rug or hard floor get really dirty versus the ones that sit up off the floor. If you have pets, unusual weather conditions{sand} or just dont vacuum much this can make things much worse. Most of my gaming buddies would never place their expensive pc on the floor but to each his own.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

Never had or seen problems on hard floors. Carpets cause several issues. Not just the dust and dirt, but also the possibility of static electricity. But when you have a small place without much room, you do what you gotta do...
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

On the A485 tonight. While there are a lot of issues with this laptop, if you use it more like a desktop, it really works well. Not compatible out of the box with TLP, so battery life isn't that great, it drains the batteries even when powered off, etc. So there's a lot I don't like about it, but the performance is certainly not one of those things!! Got it fully updated with Arch tonight...

crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Just installed Q4OS 3.9 KDE on an older HP sff with 4gb of ram and a 3.4ghz Pentium D. Runs very well and uses about 400mb of ram. Only issue was my email for some reason said I had the wrong password or wrong configuration, yet its the same as my laptop and it works fine. Iys a computer my COA board wanted recycled so I thought lets see what happens.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

crosscourt wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 3:10 am Just installed Q4OS 3.9 KDE on an older HP sff with 4gb of ram and a 3.4ghz Pentium D. Runs very well and uses about 400mb of ram. Only issue was my email for some reason said I had the wrong password or wrong configuration, yet its the same as my laptop and it works fine. Iys a computer my COA board wanted recycled so I thought lets see what happens.
Is it one of the hyperthreaded Pentium-D's or the non-hyperthreaded ones? I always liked the few hyperthreaded Pentium-D's when I used them. Ran exceedingly hot due to the architecture, but they performed really well with being able to do 4 threads.

On the 7400 tonight setting in KFC meeting to maybe sell some paintball equipment. MAN this thing is tiny for a 14"!!! I'm so very impressed with this laptop, and the performance is absolutely stunning!!
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Its one of the hyperthreaded ones and runs pretty well with Linux, but was a slug with Windows 7.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

I use Q4OS Centaurus as a quick way to install Debian 10 but it runs great on the Pentium D 3.4ghz system. No third party email apps work at all, so Im not sure what to make of it. I can go directly to my ISP though with no issue.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

I saw an offerup for a 3700x for $250, was able to talk him down to $230. So...

crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Are you going to use it for gaming?
Site Moderator