What hardware are you using?

Discussion of hardware related issues
crosscourt

Re: What hardware are you using?

Post by crosscourt »

Something happened with one of my 7010 usffs when I replaced the processor. Didnt see any issue with the socket nor cpu, yet the pc wouldnt boot(all other causes checked as well). Pulled it apart and noticed a section of the socket pins was damaged not bent. Not sure how that happened but motherboard is toast.
Ordered a motherboard for that system and picked up another full system for dirt cheap.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

I use my 7010s all over the place. Ive got one in the living room we use to watch stuff on our larger tv. I use one with my tv in my room to watch content and I use one everyday now as my get it done pc. Most have the i3 3220 3.3ghz cpu(55w)one as the i5 3470s 2.9ghz(65w) and the other the i5 3450 3.1ghz(77w). i3s make a bit more sense from a heat standpoint, but the 3470s may actually be the best compromise. All have 8gb of ram and the Windows systems are using 512gb 7200rpm hard drives, the Linux systems are using 128/256gb SSDs. Using AC USB wifi adapters to connect to my gateway. Very quiet and take up very little space.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

Finally got a box to put the Latitude 3500 in so I can sell it, but testing it out, and I was able to build the module for the Realtek 8852ae wireless on Debian 11. Actually works FAR better than I would ever expect a Realtek chip to work (mind you, it's also setting a grand total of 3 feet from the AP). Might just play with this for a while before selling it now since I sold off the Latitude 7410.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Cmon, you know you want to sell it for something more fun? :)
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

I want to sell it, yeah, but I'll have to sell it on Ebay since Craigslist is REALLY slow right now for laptops. Which means after all the fees, the fees, the fees, I'd get a FRACTION of what I list it for.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Ive sold about $15000 worth of hardware on Ebay and the fees though a pain arent real bad. Craigslist in my area is a mixed bag so I use it on occasion.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

My 7010 with the i5 2.9ghz came in and its ion nice condition. They screwed up and it only has a dvd player, so I exchanged it for a dvd-rw drive I had.
Upped the ram to 8gb from 2gb and added a 256gb SSD with Win10 in this case. Runs very well and is noticeably quicker than the i3 systems.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

Played with the 8852AE all night. So, it's definitely realtek. If you have MASSIVE levels of signal, it actually works REALLY well. If you don't have massive signal, it's...questionable. Aslo, the Bluetooth I was never able to get working wiht Debian. Overall, definitely not something I'd ever recommend.
wove

Post by wove »

My Pi 400 burned out. It had the Win 11 up and running. I hit shut down and it appeared to do so. The screen went blank and the power light went out. However when I came back a couple hours later the Pi was so hot I could not even touch it and it has not started again. I am not sure whether it was due to some software issue with the odd Win 11 I had installed or if it was some hardware failure in the Pi. I am going to miss it and I suppose at some point I will purchase another.

In better news the Pi 3B+ has been up and running for a few weeks now with NextCloud server on it. I now have all the data that was syncing via Google and MS accounts syncing locally and at a point where I can start deleting that data on the corporate clouds and use local storage.
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

Oh wow, that sucks. Always hate when hardware dies for no reason. Doubly when it's hardware that's not old and well before it's expected to start having issues still.