What hardware are you using?

Discussion of hardware related issues
crosscourt

Re: What hardware are you using?

Post by crosscourt »

Im sure down the road youll find yourself doing more interesting projects that will use the power a bit more. It also future proofs you a bit as things continue to change. If it werent for my gaming, I wouldnt need a Ryzen high end system for most of my needs.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

Get my new laptop tomorrow!! It arrived at work last week, and I got home today, but after unpacking, taking a shower, and laying down for 5 minutes (which became 3 hours) I was just too beat to go pick it up. Still have off work tomorrow, so it's fine.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Looking forward to your comments.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

So, initial reactions.

It's pretty. Although it looks nearly identical (ok, exactly identical) to the Gen1, so was expecting that.
The internals are MUCH better laid out than the Gen1. Lots of room on the board on this one. Could have probably added a 2nd m.2 slot if they chose.
Speaking of m.2, they've REMOVED the ability to run a m.2 2240 PCIe 3x2 SSD in the WWAN slot. Now blocked same as the L14.
It's FAST. To be expected from a 8-core 16-thread CPU running with 32GB DDR4 3200 ram, but still. It still amazes me that AMD has managed to get that many cores running at that frequency in a 15-watt TDP processor.
I got it registered with Lenovo, and got Windows activated with Digital License in case I ever sell it, so got EndeavourOS on it now.
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Nice looking laptop and Im with you, 8/16 with a 15w processor. So how much was it?
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

All said and done, it was just a scosh under $1700. Painful price, but right now I have it with the money I WAS going to use for my car no longer able to be used for it since said car was totaled.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

$1700???!!!!!! Too rich for my blood.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

Yeah, it was at the ABSOLUTE limit for what I was willing to pay. Normally I'd wait to try and find it used, but I really wanted to try a Zen3 processor, and I just have no desire to be updating my desktop right now, since the processor (if I WERE to upgrade) is over $500 and doesn't include a cooler.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Just picked up a 1tb SATA drive and a 256gb SSD Im going to use with my Dell 7010 USFF. Going to run it for most of my daily needs rather than using my Ryzen gaming system for everything.
Site Moderator