What hardware are you using?

Discussion of hardware related issues
crosscourt

Re: What hardware are you using?

Post by crosscourt »

It explains why I havent seen any ddr2 laptops with 8gb of ram.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

Yeah, there's a few around, but only the very last chipsets using DDR2 supported 8 GB (2x4GB, most support 4x2GB which obviously won't happen in a laptop), and the 4 GB sodimms were only released like a year before the switch to DDR3 (which happened MUCH faster than the switch to DDR4. With the low voltage of DDR3L being nearly the same as DDR4's, the increase in price over DDR3L caused many manufacturers to stick with DDR3L until recently when the price of DDR4 started dropping).
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Got the second E6400 Sunday night and its also in amazing shape. Larger 160gb SATA II drive, 2.53ghz core 2 duo with 4gb of ram. It had Windows 7 installed so Ill keep that as i updated it and scanned it to be sure. One of the advantages of these laptops is they have a hard drive slot so its easy to pop the drive out and slide another drive in. Ive got a few extra hard drive caddys so it will make testing distros really easy.
E5410 you cant do that as they have a stupid plastic cover that pops in and is a bare to reinstall. Its not designed for swapping drives at will and honestly would break with too much use. Thats what attracted me to the E6400 and so far its running Win7 very well. Very pleased with my 2 laptops for $70 and will become my knock around laptops for work and personal use.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Added a few cleaners, diagnostics and hardware identifier.monitor. I gave Kaspersky Free a look as its very highly rated and honestly, runs light, auto updates and does a great job of scanning for viruses. Their software updater works very well and my wife loves it. Installed FreeOffice 2018 which looks great and my wife seems to be happy with it after trying it.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

That's one of the few things I will say I like about Win10, Windows Defender is now rated as highly or higher in terms of effectiveness as any of the free AV, and even better than many of the paid AV's.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Kaspersky Free was very highly rated even though it doesnt have all the features the paid version done. So far its auto updated fine, has informed me of a number of issues, quietly without using a lot of resources. I also use Malwarebytes, SuperAntispyware and Defender but Ive got pretty good habits so I rarely run into issues.

Win10 is a farce and if you include the bad updates that fry systems, forced updates to Win10(which happened to me), the phone home features and the constant version changes, its a really terrible experience for those who prefer Win7. I have no intention of moving to it but my wife is leaning in that direction so Ill end up running it if only to keep an eye on things.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

I moved because my new desktop isn't supported in Win7. No drivers for Ryzen or Kaby Lake+ are being released for Win7 (via windows updates), and Windows updates other than vital security updates are disabled in Win7 on any of those processors.
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

My Inspiron 7375 should be arriving today. Ram arrived yesterday and was waiting on my desk when I got in this morning. The 850 EVO 1 TB already arrived and is waiting for me to get home withe the 7375 to swap it in.

I also bought a few new mice. Had some rewards points for my Amazon CC, so bought a couple new mice (for the grand sum of free after shipping and tax) as I disliked the one mouse wheel greatly (it would stick all the time), so now have a new mouse on my docking station and a new mouse at work. They're "gaming mice" but they're exceedingly basic and corded mice. However, they're a bit larger than many other mice which is why I buy "gaming" mice, as I like large mice much more than the small ones (carpal tunnel). So far, I'm liking both the new ones I bought.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

having been a pro gamer I prefer gaming mice also and still use them. I get one a year from Logitech as I use to be be sponsored by them years ago.

All the info youve been giving me on your laptops will come in handy down the road when Im using those models as older cheaper items from Ebay.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

I hate the fact that Microsoft wont support a cpu thats out during the extended support period for Win7. I know that Win7 isnt going tob e around much longer but given the number of people and gamers that still use it, it could be done. The planned obsolescence Microsoft demonstrates these days and the fact they discriminate against users of older OS drives me nuts. The sooner Linux becomes a better gaming OS the happier Ill be.
Site Moderator