What hardware are you using?

Discussion of hardware related issues
tlmiller

Re: What hardware are you using?

Post by tlmiller »

Eh, this year was more often than normal due to switching out to the USB-C dock so I could continue to use my work laptop.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Im getting use to it and its nice to get feedback on a wide variety of laptops.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

here with my i7375 tonight. Freshly upgraded to kernel 5.0, it does seem a little quicker than 4.18 was. Won't be going back after the first few minutes of using it!!

tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

I'm going back through and re-doing hw-probe and geekbench on all my equipment. The geekbench results would seem to bear out my "gut" instinct that the 5.0 kernel helped the i7375. It's scores were very much right in line with the Thinkpad now (which given both Ryzen 5 2500u (one pro one not) w/ 16 GB DDR2666 and a 1 TB SSD (1 NVMe 1 SATA)), it should be. Previously the Thinkpad was quite a bit ahead of the Inspiron in both single core and multi-core, now it's pretty much equal in both, with the Inspiron actually having a minute advantage in multi-core (small enough to be a fluke).

BTW - hw-probe is avaialble via flatpak, and adds a menu icon just like in ROSA.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

I dont use Flatpack myself, maybe down the road.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

I've found flatpak is a good way to keep things like Gimp and LibreOffice up to date on Debian. So I've started using it more and more. I've moved Pinta over to flatpak now as well due to instability in the Ubuntu build of Pinta. While flatpaks are larger than native installs, none of my machines is exactly what would be called starving for disk space...

From my desktop:

Code: Select all

Filesystem      Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
udev            7.8G     0  7.8G   0% /dev
tmpfs           1.6G   18M  1.6G   2% /run
/dev/nvme0n1p1  469G   11G  435G   3% /
tmpfs           7.9G   81M  7.8G   2% /dev/shm
tmpfs           5.0M     0  5.0M   0% /run/lock
tmpfs           7.9G     0  7.9G   0% /sys/fs/cgroup
/dev/sdb5       440G  2.1G  416G   1% /home
/dev/sdb2        96M   32M   65M  33% /boot/efi
tmpfs           1.6G   56K  1.6G   1% /run/user/1000
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Im primarily running Ubuntu based distros right now so its not been a problem with updates so far.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

Even w/ Ubuntu since I will only run LTS-based I find it too outdated. Ubuntu 18.04 currently has LibreOffice 6.0, 6.2 is current release. GIMP is 2.8.22, 2.10.12 is current release. Pinta was the same version, but at the time I switched the Ubuntu build would crash as soon as you pasted data into it, while the flatpak version worked as it was supposed to do. So still worth it to me as LibreOffice at least is important to me to keep as current as possible since the improvements in file compatibility have been fairly major between 6.0 and 6.2.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Lets say Im as up to to date as I need and Ubuntu gets updates fairly quickly versus some of my other distros. Flatpack is a good choice for you but its not really that big a deal to me.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

Got the 3379 in. It didn't come with an installed OS, so I installed Win10 quick to check if it's registered for it (it is), then threw Debian on. Not sure if I really WANT Debian on it, as I have so many Debian machines already. But for lack of anything better at the moment.

So came with a 180 GB m.2 SATA SSD. Pulled that and put in a 512. Came with an Intel 7265, pulled that and put in an Atheros QCA9377. And finally threw in an additional 8 GB DDR4 sodimm to bring it up to 16 GB. Runs nicely (as one would expect). Couple dents (that were clearly pointed out in the ad), and some scratching that I wouldn't have seen had I not taking the lower cover off. Overall, great condition. LCD pretty much flawless, almost no signs of use on the touchpad or keyboard, and no denting/scratching on the palm rests. I'm definitely happy with it for the price.

On another note, does anyone have use for an m.2 SATA 180GB SSD? Currently everyone locally I've asked has had no use for it, so I'm about ready to toss it in the trash if I can't find someone who can use it, since at this point I have no use for a m.2 SSD that small.