What hardware are you using?

Discussion of hardware related issues
tlmiller

Re: What hardware are you using?

Post by tlmiller »

If you like the 3:2 aspect ratio screens, the Chuwi Gemibook Pro I have is, so far, ABSOLUTELY FANTASTIC...and $450 MSRP often on sale $400. I think this is pretty much the closest thing to a perfect laptop Chuwi will ever make (course, their next release may prove me wrong). And so far the quality of it's really good (which has always of course been the knock on Chuwi, that they were cheap for a reason). Just a quick look at the specs:

Intel Celeron J4125 (desktop Celeron, 10-watt. Those extra 4-watts of power usage/heat allow for much better performance, but do require fans to cool it. But the fans are VERY quiet).
16GB lpddr4x ram soldered
DUAL m.2 2280 SATA slots (1 easy access). Comes with a 512GB SSD
2160x1440 LCD. This is IMO the ideal 3:2 resolution. BIT higher than 1080P PPI, but still large enough that 100% scaling is comfortably usable on a 14".
USB-C, actually supporting the FULL USB-C featureset, so can output dp over USB-C, can charge via USB-c, works on docks!!!!!!
AX200 wifi + BT 5.0 Wifi 6 on a BUDGET machine!!!
Does come with a barrel charger also
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Thats what Im doing right now is looking at options. Let me know if you have anything youre selling that might be worth looking at as I might move quicker if the price is right.
Ill take a look at the Chuwi online to get a better look.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

Odd as it is, I'm actually NOT selling anything at this moment!! :D
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Im sure I wont have to wait too long, :)
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Like what I see with the E7490 given I already liked the E7480. Looked at the Lenovo T480 as well.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

Physically, the 7480 & 7490 (technically no longer E series as they no longer have an E-dock port) are identical. Only the internals changed. But yeah, I still love my 7490, and in fact like it more than the 7400 that replaced it, even though the 7400 is smaller, lighter, with smaller bezels, and still has 2 DIMMS (as long as you get the clamshell, NOT the 2-in-1).
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Looking around both online and locally the 7480 is priced better. That may change later in the year and I may be able to find a 7490 with a better price. There are also far more 7480s around than 7490s which may be why the prices are so different.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

Yeah, 6 months ago the xx80's were less than 1/2 the price of the same xx90 model. NOw it's down to slightly more than 1/2 the price (in general, obviously exceptions are to be found in both directions). That gulf will only continue to narrow as more xx90's begin to flood the market due to their base 3-year warranty coming up and businesses begin refreshing them with newer machines. I expect about a year from now there'll be ~$100 difference or less between 2 models xx80 and xx90 where the xx are the same. At that point it would be hard to ever recommend an xx80 over an xx90 given that it has 1/2 the cores and real world the xx90's do have ~40% greater performance.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Im looking mainly at Ebay and a few liquidation sites that Ive done business with.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

crosscourt wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 10:57 pm Im looking mainly at Ebay and a few liquidation sites that Ive done business with.
Yeah, the refresh cycle for the 90's is JUST starting about 3 months ago, so they're not incredibly common yet.