What hardware are you using?

Discussion of hardware related issues
crosscourt

Re: What hardware are you using?

Post by crosscourt »

Good for you and kudos to them for such good support.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Just got through cloning my wifes hard drive with her Dell Optiplex 7010 SFF. Went from a 500gb WD hard drive to a 2TB Seagate Barracuda drive. Shes works with audio and video files a lot and needed more space. I also got her a 2TB Seagate external hard drive to back up files she doesnt use as often.
Used Mini Shadowmaker software in Win10 and it took about an hour and thirty minutes.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Finally it appears the Dell E4300 will be delivered today from my buddy in Rochester.
Site Moderator
wove

Post by wove »

As I mentioned in my Deepin OS post, I have gotten the X240 in good running shape. The most durable and indestructable part of the X240 turns out to be the sticker saying "Intel Inside" :) Lots of sticker residue on the machine. It is the i7 model and is quiet snappy in operation. It has the newer model Thinkpad keyboard, which to me seems as good as the tradition keyboard. The Trackpoint, which has long been my favored mouse mover on Thinkpads, is not so hot, but it does have a nice big trackpad, which works flawlessly.

I enjoy playing with hardware much more than playing with software. Now that I have the X240 up and running very well, I have no idea what to do with it.

bill
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Im the same way as i much prefer to play with hardware than software. Ive used most of my hardware to test distros and device compatibility. Ive also been trying to get a bit more adept at laptop repairs with older devices as I spend most of my time with them. Most people dont have newer hardware so I get a lot of requests.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Finally got the E4300 up and running. Added more ram to 8gb and had to charge the battery before flashing to the newest bios. Im running Feren OS KDE on a 128gb SSD and it runs very well. Very easy laptop to get to the ram and wifi card. Each has a single panel that removes very quickly. The hard drive sloits in on the side of the laptop so upgrading is a cinch. Speaker though is internal so the sound isnt great but ok. Screen quality is good as well as the keyboard, touchpoint and touchpad. Media card slot works well and both USB ports work fine.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

I tried Win10 on the E4300 just to see if it would run and it did, and ran very well. No where near as good as Linux.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Might try to do a straightup install of Win10 and see if any problems crop up. I originally tested using a Win10 hard drive from my E6420 laptop.
Site Moderator
wove

Post by wove »

I have to say that Windows 10 performs better on the X240, than the various Linux versions I have tried. I am not real keen on the software or desktop, and I a pretty sure as I use it there is something looking over my shoulder. However from a strict standpoint of the hardware Windows is exceptional. Battery life is a good 10% more. I can connect to external monitors, and if finds the optimum resolution and if connected has the good sense not to sleep when I close the lid.

The hard drive is encrypted and a finger print will start me up and log me in. All the special keys do what their icons say they should do. Maybe I will have to look into the Linux subsystem for Windows and see if I can get a nice desktop.

Deepin is a nice desktop, but it caused me issues with wake and sleep. Fedora runs very snappy for a Gnome desktop, but it does not play well with the mouse and trackpad (I have not tried to tweak those settings). Fyde OS (the Chromium OS wannabe) sits quietly on the m.2 drive and works well whenever I boot into it, but I find the Chrome OS experience a tab bit alien. I am saving trying Pop OS and Debian until last.

bill
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Win10 runs very well on th e Dell E4300 but it isnt faster than Linux and uses far more resources. Q4OS KDE boots faster, runs faster and only uses 419mb at GUI.

You get use to Chrome OS as I use it all the time with my Chromebox/Chromebook. It requires a different mental approach and learning to do things differently but still attaining the same goal. I love the ability to powerwash them and to share my settings on all my devices very easily.
Site Moderator