What hardware are you using?

Discussion of hardware related issues
tlmiller

Re: What hardware are you using?

Post by tlmiller »

Back on my Samsung today. I reinstalled it with Debian last night. Got the drives backwards though. didn't format /home. So logged into plasma expecting all my settings to carry over, nothing.

Code: Select all

ls /home
and see etc lib lib64 var opt, etc. "FRACK". So blasted the old Fedora / files (I was wondering why df -h was showing like 14% usage on /home!!!) and rebuilt everything.

I've mentioned it before, but if this laptop supported usb-c pd, it would probably be my favorite laptop. It really is a joy to work on for a laptop, and is a nice size.

Got everything re-set up on here at this point. Debating spending some time trying to learn how to create new packages with xbps-src in order to install onlyoffice and/or softmaker freeoffice. And ksudoku. How could anyone make a distro that has KDE and not have ksudoku??? MONSTERS!!!
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

Here on the 3379. After upgrading the wifi I decided to work on the packages for OnlyOffice and FreeOffice again. I still cannot figure out how to build the package with xbps-src so that it will register the icons!! That's the ONLY thing I still need to do, everything else works in the packages. The "new" wireless card is working great. Definitely superior to the 9377. Of course, being a 2x2 vs. 1x1, that is to be expected.
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

Here on the 7490 tonight. Sometimes software really makes the hardware. I really hadn't liked this laptop at all since I had bought it. Since I replaced ArcoLinux with Anarchy though...suddenly I'm absolutely LOVING this laptop!! Guess it shows as little difference as there is between the 2, it's still a difference. I just sooooooooooo much more enjoy the "vanilla" Arch install of anarchy over arcolinux adding their own repos (anarchy does have repos, but you can choose not to use them during install).
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Ive got one of the E6420s at work now with an SSD and gees what a difference. I access a lot of data and schedules on top of having to keep track of the weather and this laptop really fits the bill compared to the E5410/V130.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

Have you seen that Dell has resurrected the Vostro brand?
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Thats old news as the Vostro brand was revived back around August 2018.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

Yeah, noticed it a few times since then. Sadly, nothing IMO that's compelling so I kept forgetting about it.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Ive always liked the Vostro brand and still own the V130 from 2010-11.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

I used to like the Vostro's too. But these new ones are...underwhelming...IMO. Most have onboard memory (not slots) with max 8 GB. While that's perfectly fine for TODAY, it gives you NO future proofing of the laptops.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

If they keep their laptops as long as you do they should be fine, ;)
Site Moderator