What hardware are you using?

Discussion of hardware related issues
tlmiller

Re: What hardware are you using?

Post by tlmiller »

Yeah, 8 GB is almost the minimum for a decently quick system nowadays. 4GB will definitely hinder for more applications than it should at this point.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

For a everyday lightweight system using a lightweight distro 4gb is fine, otherwise agreed 8gb is the minimum.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

Yeah, that's about how I see it. Basic internet/mail/text editing 4 GB is fine, but for anything MORE...yeah, 8 GB is pretty much necessary.

Which is sad when you really think about it. Back in the (late) 90's we were able to do all these things with 1 GB ram and that was a LOT at the time!! Yes, ignoring the early 90's where this was done with 256 MB if you were lucky, because the gui's were...at best...ugly and archaic.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

I miss those days in some respects but system reliability right now for me has been excellent.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

I can't say I miss those days. I was a HARDCORE overclocker back then, so would spend HOURS fiddling with systems trying to get that last 1% of performance from it. I'm much happier just using them nowadays.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Overclocking was a lot of fun, particularly using lower spec cpus and trying to gain far more performance from them. I spent just as much time ocing videocards and playing with their firmware. Enjoyed those days as today things have gotten a bit sterile. In those days everything was a fresh experience and the improvements felt the same way.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

It was fun at first, but when it became so that EVERYTHING had to be overclocked, it was...almost like an addiction. I still remember fondly some of the overclocks (Celeron A @450 from 300, Original slot-A Athlon @1 Ghz from 850, Radeon 9700 flashed to Pro specs, Radeon 9800 flashed to Pro specs..., etc), but I also remember frying cpu's and boards trying to push them too far and wasting money that I really didn't have at the time.

Also, I NEARLY bought another laptop. Pawn shop up the street has a HP X360 (i5 7200u/8 GB/ 128 SSD). It does indeed have USB-C, but before buying it I tested and it doesn't support Power Delivery (won't charge via USB-C), it's data only. But was a good price. $365, I'm sure I could have gotten it for $300-$315.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

I never fried anything, cpu, video card or mobo but it was fun seeing what you could do and sharing the results with others.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

Never killed gpu's overclocking them, but I definitely killed a few cpu's (at least 1 Celeron and 1 pentium-III) and at least 1 motherboard that pushed the power delivery too hard and had caps explode.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Caps explode, youre my knda guy!
Site Moderator