What hardware are you using?

Discussion of hardware related issues
tlmiller

Re: What hardware are you using?

Post by tlmiller »

My 5289 is in Phoenix!! So hopefully it'll get delivered tomorrow and I can play with it this weekend. :D
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Playing with the 7010 now as I put Win 7 on it for my wife and it runs very well with 8gb of ram and a 500gb hard drive. These systems with Linux absolutely fly.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

So has your wife decided what she's going to do after February when Win7 is EOL?
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

So far shes going to stick to Win7 for a short time but she hasnt made any long term decision.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

tlmiller wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2019 3:28 am My 5289 is in Phoenix!! So hopefully it'll get delivered tomorrow and I can play with it this weekend. :D
Well, didn't arrive until today. First impressions are positive. Although it wouldn't take the latest firmware, I downloaded all the intermediate firmwares, and was able to step it through them, and then it did indeed take the latest. Seems fast so far, although haven't actually gotten a GUI running, right now it's still just CLI.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Feel free to post a separate thread with a mini review once you get to play with it more.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

So after installing w/ Debian 10 on the 5289 went so smoothly, I upgraded my Lenovo to Debian 10 last night. Overall smooth given I have like 5 .list files of 3rd parties in my install. Had to purge most of the plasma packages to get it to finish the upgrade, but other than that, a VERY smooth transition. and after the upgrade was done, no issues with reinstalling any of the plasma packages. Maybe this weekend I'll consider transitioning the desktop.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

So youre going all Debian 10?
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

Very likely. Since all the buster repos are ready for it to released as stable, then it can't be too long. I won't update my installer yet, but after 3 months in full freeze I seriously doubt it'll be more than another 2 months before Stretch (I officially bet 7/12 Buster is announced as stable) becomes oldstable and Buster is promoted to stable.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Ive never stuck to just one distro on all installs. Ive favored certain distros at times but I still tend to wander a bit and like to have other options. Ive certainly been less prone to hopping recently and have used far more Debian based distros than I had previously.
Site Moderator