What hardware are you using?

Discussion of hardware related issues
crosscourt

Re: What hardware are you using?

Post by crosscourt »

New laptop wont be here till tomorrow weather permitting. My 512gb SSD and adapter wont be here till Monday of next week.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Due to the ice storm my laptop was a bit late in arriving but should be here, today.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Its odd lately as the Win10 updates seem to be affecting performance and Im having to optimize my drives more often to maintain speed.
Site Moderator
chris

Post by chris »

Odd, yes. Mine optimise automatically weekly. Including trimming the SSD.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Im using a standard SATA hard drive not a SSD. SSDs dont need optimization regularly(except trimming) like standard drives. With SSDs make sure write caching is enabled, turn off defragmenting/optimization,disable indexing and make sure trim is enabled. Even though Win10 attempts to optimize the standard drive, the updates appear to cause issues, particularly after multiple updates. This time around I didnt optimize after each update and eventually the drive started to get slow in its response.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

Optimize? Defragment? These are odd phrases you speak... I understand trim, however. :D

Can't remember the last time I had to do either of those odd phrases. You must be speaking some foreign language, yeah, that's it.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

LOL!!! I have to say I had less issues with Win7 versus Win10 in this regard. I still have quite a few standard HDs but the SSDs are slowly taking over.
Site Moderator
bin

Post by bin »

OK - my Dell Optiplex 7040 arrived early - which was nice!
Virtually as new condition - just a couple of light scuffs on the underside. £330 with a 3 year RTB wty - very pleased.
SFF does mean you're a bit limited with expansion but it makes up for it being almost silent - in fact the sound is drowned out by the freezer in the kitchen next door.
Only grump is that when they fitted the SSD it was to the side of the 5.25" drive bay and just used a couple of casing screws which made a bit of a mess of the holes in the side of the drive. That drive is just sitting in a drawer now as it contains the Win 10 setup so it may never get used :)
Quick fiddle with the BIOS made sure that all the UEFI rubbish was switched off.
Popped in my Sparkylinux drive and off we went.

That I think is the one thing about linux that I really appreciate. When my Acer desktop went down the drive then went in to an HP Pavilion dv6 laptop. It just worked. Then it went into into the Dell desktop. It just worked. The only thing they have in common is Intel graphics - got fed up with messing with nvidia a while back.

Just try doing that with Win10.... ;)
wove

Post by wove »

Congrats on the new desktop. Always nice to order a used item and get one in very nice condition :) "It just worked." There are many reasons one might choose this or that, but "it just works" is so often overlooked.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Dell SFF isnt bad compared to many other SFF systems. That was stupid that they forced the case screws into the SSD rather than using the smaller drive screws.
Totally agree about Linux as you can move it to another system and just keep on working. In my case a lot of my hardware is the same, all 7010 SFF with similar specs, so I can move my Win10 drives between them with no issues.
Ive bought most of my systems on Ebay from trusted vendors but also do business with pcliquidations.com.
Site Moderator