What hardware are you using?

Discussion of hardware related issues
tlmiller

Re: What hardware are you using?

Post by tlmiller »

I actually don't care for the 20's. Without USB 3.0, no option for Wifi 6, only a VERY limited optons for Wifi 5 due to the older interface (Basically Intel 7260 or a coupel choices from Atheros, and a Realtek that's almost impossible to find and supported badly), they've gotten to the point that it's kinda hard to use them due to their limited bandwidth. That's my take anyway. 30/40 still usable to me (I've also never had a failed install on either that I've tried), with the 40 still being a laptop I like (I think the 20/30 design is exceedingly ugly, but far IMO the ugliest of the E series in their entirety, with the E6x10 probably being the best looking IMO as a series, and the E7440 probably the nicest looking single model).
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

I like the appearance of the 6430/20 and I dont find any of the 64xx series ugly by any means. USB 3.0 for me isnt an issue and Im happy with wifi with the 20s. These are older laptops I use for everyday tasks so they dont need to be world beaters. Your needs are far different than mine thus we wont ever agree on topics like this.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

Really? You don't think the 20/30 is ugly? Wow, you really have weird tastes. :D
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

I was thinking the same thing about you, :lol:
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

So one of my USB micro-sd adapters broke today. Luckily I was able to get the broken piece out of the laptop it broke it so that it didn't kill the USB port. Since I then had a spare micro-sd card with nothing to do with it, I figured I'd use it as a /home directory on my Chromebook 13. WOW...while these are great laptops, the micro-sd adapters on them SUCK. While I was using it, it would take ~40 seconds to pop up the menu, or open Dolphin. I removed it from /etc/fstab and rebooted, put it back into another USB adapter, and moved my /home directory back to the internal emmc. Everything FLEW doing that. So it's not the card. It's the reader. Tried it on both Chromebooks just to test, and indeed, in both it was reading at <USB 1.1 speeds via the onboard micro-sd card reader, and at full USB 2.0 speeds in my 2.0 adapter. Tried 2 different cards, as well.
So if anyone ever picks one of these up to use as a regular laptop, just be aware that the micro-sd is basically worthless on this, and it's not fast enough to be able to use it to expand the system storage.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

No micro-sd card reader with my Acer 14 Chromebook so been using an external USB adapter style.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

That's kinda surprising. Most of the more modern Chromebooks have switched to micro-sd from sd. Although I think my Acer (or did I have an Asus?) still had an SD not micro-sd...
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

The Acer 14 Chromebook doesnt have any sd or micro sd card reader. I prefer the externals anyway.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

For Chromebooks turned GalliumOS laptops, I prefer a built in micro-sd reader. If it's a decent reader, you can grab yourself a reasonable 128GB micro-sd card cheap and double or even quadruple the storage on most Chromebooks. Sure, it's a little slower than a good eMMC, but not drastically (this model excepted). Gives a lot of flexibility. Move /tmp to the card, and put /home on the card, and even a 16GB / partition if that's all the built in eMMC has is suddenly is roomy.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

I access most of my additional data online and I use a64gb USB drive for the rest if needed. I use mine as Chromebooks so its not really a problem. I also have 128gb ssd drives and 500gb external drives in a portable case if needed.
Site Moderator