What hardware are you using?

Discussion of hardware related issues
tlmiller

Re: What hardware are you using?

Post by tlmiller »

I haven't had to replace any of the keyboards on my personal machines that use Chicklet keyboards. Have had to do it at work. Totally sucks. Have to tear the entire laptop apart (motherboards, daughter boards, etc) just to remove the keyboard. Not enjoyable when you compare it to the old D-series and early E-series Latitudes that was a plastic strip, 2-3 screws and a cable or 2.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

My E6400 dont even use a cable as the bottom of the keyboard has a connector built in and you just slide it into the slot and make sure all the tabs are in, 2 screws and youre done.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

Oh yeah, I remember that, had the golden fingers connector on the bottom. However by the Exx20 that was gone and you'd have 1 or 2 cables (depending on model and features) that connected it to the motherboard. But was still a lot easier than the modern chicklets.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Yep, Ive got the E6420/30/40 and they use cables and are fairly easy to remove.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

On my desktop, figured something out. Hadn't been able to log into gmail for a couple weeks on Debian or Arch, but worked fine on the install on my work computer (Neon still) and my laptop with Fedora. After some experimenting it was the user agent switcher that I used (I want it to actually say my distro, not just "linux"). There's only 1 user agent switcher for Firefox that doesn't get the browser marked as "insecure" by google. Switched to that and I'm able to log into gmail again.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

So far Mint Cinnamon 20 beta hasnt caused any cpu temp issues and resources seem to be fine. They changed something since 19.3 and now the e6400/6420 seem to be much happier.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

Still have Endeavour OS on the T470. Surprisingly nice laptop for something that is still only a dual-core processor. Been enjoying testing things on it.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Still some overheating issues with the E6400 laptops last night. It happened in KDE distros this time like Rosa which is using the 5.4 kernel,and Feren OS using the 5.3 kernel, Rosa previously used the 4.15 kernel but its really odd. Both have Thermald installed but the the thing Im noticing is the Nvidia gpu based laptops are the ones having the issue, where the cpu goes wild into the 80+ temp range along with the gpu. The Intel based gpu isnt having that problem but Ill be testing it more tonite to see what happens.Gnome distros make it worse yet Mint Cinnamon initially didnt have any problems but last night it came out of nowhere.
My original E6400s were all Intel gpu based as are most of my laptops.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

Are you using Noeaowvekla;jfiuwehvcio;ajefakaewjfew[oifjweo'fmepoiwjokldnfiuadsj;ofjewij (or something similar) or Proprietary Nvidia drivers? I know the open-source ones have historically had issues with power management.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Using the Nouveau drivers and it appears the E6400s with Nvidia gpus have had an interesting history of overheating issues. Add Gnome to the mix and it gets really wild.
Site Moderator