What hardware are you using?

Discussion of hardware related issues
crosscourt

Re: What hardware are you using?

Post by crosscourt »

Given this great turn of events( being able to run pretty much any distro on my Dell E6420 with E series dock after recent updates), I could pull back from using so many desktops and knock it down to two systems, one for gaming and a backup for my wife and thats it. I could use laptops with dock as both a everyday desktop and portable system. It would save space and not require me keeping so many spare parts and addons. Ill have to mull it over a bit.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

Well, given how many laptops I have, I think you can guess what I'd vote for!! :-P
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

LOL!!!!!
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Ive been using my laptops exclusively for awhile and its worked out very well. Now that the dock issues have been solved there arent any restrictions. Did some gaming on Linux with the E6420 and that went very well.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Back on my Dell 7010 SFF with Netrunner 19.01 presently. Very nice system that makes it easy to swap out hard drives very quickly.
Did some updating of my many testing distros.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Outside of my mid tower I use for gaming I really prefer the SFF with the 7010 Optiplex. Easy to swap out drives quickly and connections are easy to get to so I can connect drives externally for testing. The USFF even with is really small size turned out to be a bust as except for specialized uses its design really doesnt lend itself to being able to play around with it like the SFF. Using my Dell e6420 on a dock gives me many more options and quick change for hard drives versus the USFF Optiplex. The SFF for me really fits the bill and will probably become the basis for my future systems as well.
Been looking at the 7040 recently as a friend says he would make me a deal.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

I'm on my desktop right now, but I'm thinking that I'm going to try doing Void LXQT on the Acer that I've got q4os on. I did move around a few installs today. I had a 512 m.2 SATA SSD just lying around (from work, it crashed and we couldn't get it to reinstall but dd'ing it 0's and creating a new partition table seems to have it working again, but it was replaced under warranty so I'm going to use it to truly test it) so put that in my Yoga 3 pro and installed Debian instead of Arch. Sold the 5368 w/ my 480 SSD, so took the 1 TB that was in it (not selling a 1 TB SSD in a laptop for $225!!) and put that back in the e7450 (where it came from originally anyway) and reinstalled ROSA to that.

edit - I'm on the yoga 3. Running VERY well with debian. 4.9 kernel, didn't even need backports (except to get remmina). Everything mostly works, except suspend, which has never worked with any linux OS on this laptop. No firmware issues whatsoever for wifi, installed the firmware-atheros package and wireless just works. Did obviously have to set up scaling for this machine though, as 3200x1800 is too high a resolution even for me to use. 1.5 scaling in plasma (equal to 150% scaling in Windows).
chris

Post by chris »

If you're thinking Void, I recommend Void with MATE desktop.
I run it in a VM with 2G memory and a 2G swap - swap is unused after several days uptime.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Only Mate distros Ive used recently are Ubuntu Mate 18.04, Mint 19.1 and for a short time Fedora 29.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

chris wrote: Sun May 05, 2019 1:11 pm If you're thinking Void, I recommend Void with MATE desktop.
I run it in a VM with 2G memory and a 2G swap - swap is unused after several days uptime.
I don't use Mate on anything. It's barely above Gnome in my opinion of being ugly and working exactly opposite of everything I like. I know Void's plasma sucks (at least it did last time I used it), so going to try the lxqt just to try Void again. I don't have the highest hopes, given how....chaotic...Void seems to be every time I visit the forums. But it's one of the few distro's that I've thought looked very interesting so I figure try it again.