What hardware are you using?

Discussion of hardware related issues
wove

Re: What hardware are you using?

Post by wove »

I noticed tlmiller's comments on the Q4OS forum this morning where he noted that his system boots fast enough that he does not use sleep or suspend. Using a system that supports sleep and suspend has always been important to me and enough that if it is not supported well I just move on.

However the new AIO is fast enough that I have found the same to be true. It goes from off to ready to use in 10-15 seconds, which is basically the same as wake from sleep so there is no reason to mess sleep and suspend.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Same here as I rarely leave my systems on all day and dont use sleep or suspend. My change to SSDs has created an instant on system. Im actually stunned when people say they use sleep or suspend nowadays.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

Got my AX210's in!!!

Debian's 5.10 kernel for some reason doesn't work with them. You can get it SEMI-functional by deleting one of the firmware files. It then recognizes it and you can see wireless networks. But upon trying to connect, it crashes. No idea why. Also Bluetooth isn't recognized AT ALL. Don't have a Wifi 6e network at home yet, so the ones meant for my T14 and T495 are setting on the computer desk still in their anti-static baggies. The L14 is installed and working on EndeavourOS. Not a huge deal honestly, as stated, I bought these to play with, not because I needed them.
wove wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 8:52 pm I noticed tlmiller's comments on the Q4OS forum this morning where he noted that his system boots fast enough that he does not use sleep or suspend. Using a system that supports sleep and suspend has always been important to me and enough that if it is not supported well I just move on.

However the new AIO is fast enough that I have found the same to be true. It goes from off to ready to use in 10-15 seconds, which is basically the same as wake from sleep so there is no reason to mess sleep and suspend.
It's actually kinda funny. The Chuwi Lapbook Pro didn't support (waking from) sleep when I got it. I had it for 6 months before I found out, as I had owned and used it for 6 months having never attempted to put it to sleep once.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

One of the forums I was on mentioned issues with 5.10 and AX210s that were solved with 5.11 or higher.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

crosscourt wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 4:24 pm One of the forums I was on mentioned issues with 5.10 and AX210s that were solved with 5.11 or higher.
Yeah, but they were supposed to work with 5.10 also, so it was surprising to me that they failed (EndeavourOS IS 5.10 and working). Makes me think there's an issue with the Debian kernel config, not so much the kernel itself.

But ultimately it's not a big deal either way. I'll wait until backports kernels start being available in Bullseye and upgrade (probably jump straight to 5.14 or so by the time they start updating Bookworm regularly again), until then they're small and don't take much room, so they're not a big deal to have setting here. And if I DO get lucky enough to find the T14 Gen2 for a good price that I want, then I could just skip putting one in the T495 and put it in there instead.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

I was trying to find the posts I commented on above, but was bouncing around so much I lost track.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Ended up keeping one of my Dell 6440 laptop as Im going to use it as a test bed for various OS given its no tool hard drive design. It allows me to slip hard drives in very freely as I like to test things directly on hardware rather than use Virtual sessions.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

I did like easy in/out design of the hard drive of the e6000 series.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Its the easiest no tool hard drive slot Ive ever used and you can literally take them out using just your fingertips.
Site Moderator
wove

Post by wove »

I thought the IdeaCentre had become haunted. I am using Endless OS on the IdeaCentre, but I did leave a 64GB partition with the factory Windows install. I shut down for the evening and when I started again in the morning it booted into Windows 10 rather than Endless. I spent an hour at least fiddling around trying to sort out why it was not booting into Endless.

I had reached the end of my patience, when I realized that it was not booting Windows from the internal IdeaCentre hard drive, but was booting from the x240 hard drive that I had attached via a USB adaptor the previous evening to clean up and reformat.

I thought one of Windows "features" was that it would not run from an external hard drive, but I was wrong. I generally go to the BIOS/UEFI settings on an new machine and set USB as the first boot device, it just makes it easier to plug in a thumb drive and try out a new distro.

I am thinking now that if Windows will boot from external device, I could just clone my 64GB Windows partition to an external USB hard drive, devote the entire internal hard drive to endless, and if I have need of Windows, just run it from USB.