What hardware are you using?

Discussion of hardware related issues
tlmiller

Re: What hardware are you using?

Post by tlmiller »

Not really. The biggest reason for my upgrading is 2-fold:

1. There was 2 (or 3) updates to the BIOS firmware for my board. But those updates specifically said to avoid if you had 1000 series. Having updates available makes me want to update. So now I was able to update.
2. 3700x is a 65-watt TDP, compared to the 1700x 95-watt, and the 3800x 105-watt. So should produce even less heat, thus even easier (and cheaper) to keep it from getting too warm. There's a bunch of 3800x's available in my area for good prices, but I decided the only way I was upgrading was to a 65 or 95-watt cpu, didn't want to create even more heat.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Same here as I prefer to be cooler, quieter and more power efficient.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

Yeah, I don't need super powerful nowadays. I still WANT it, but I know it's not necessary for me. Even this is SO MASSIVELY overkill for what I need, it's ridiculous. But it should hold me again for a few years except possibly get a 5600xt or 5700 (non xt) to further reduce the power draw and heat.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Im just the opposite as Id rather wait, move ahead somewhat, wait for the prices to drop and then pick up something just behind the curve.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

Actually that is exactly what I'm doing. Got the 1700x just a bit after the 2000 series was released and the prices dropped, and while the 4000 series isn't out yet, the 3700x has dropped retail a fair amount (like $40) after the 3950x was released a few months ago. Normally I would have waited, but it was actually easier to find a 3700x than it was a 2700x!!! Plus the 65-watt vs. 105-watt of the 3700x vs. 2700x made me decide I really didn't want a 2700x. And while I could have gotten a 2700 for 65-watt, that's spending money on what ends up being more or less a draw, as it's not much faster than my 1700x was. So decided to jump at it since the price was pretty decent for this upgrade.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

I wont be going to the 3700x for quite some time but a newer gpu that may come a bit sooner.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

I really don't need a new GPU, but it would be nice to get something that has the same level of performance at much reduced voltage. Given the RX580 is horrendously inefficient (the polaris architecture was NOT meant to run at these speeds), the 5600XT provides something insane like +40% performance comparatively at reduced power draw. Which would be nice to keep everything cool (and quieter). But I'm out of big ticket paintball equipment to sell, so it's fairly unlikely I'd be able to for a few months at least.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

GPU will have to wait for me right now but so far its been ok with the RX570, with a pinch of overclock.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

With the upgrade to the 3700x my 580 has actually dropped temps rather significantly, and so isn't being as loud and whiny. Still would love to get something that's even less whiny, but it'll have to wait.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

RX570 hasnt been whiny at all, even when I oced it. Prices are too high right now and hoping maybe a better/cheaper mainstream card will show up.
Site Moderator