What hardware are you using?

Discussion of hardware related issues
tlmiller

Re: What hardware are you using?

Post by tlmiller »

Yeah, even a decent entry level NVMe utter annihilates SATA in bandwidth, and even moreso if both models were DRAM-less, as using HMB on NVMe DRASTICALLY reduces the performance hit of DRAMLESS drives compared to SATA.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Seriously considering swapping out the other two M2 SATA drives for NVMe drives.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Ran into someone who was throwing away a Dell Latitude E4310 so they gave it to me. Need to clean it up but its in great condition. Will upgrade it to 8gb of ram, add a 256gb ssd, and update the wifi card. Will test the battery and run the Dell diagnostics on it but he told me it was working fine and he had just upgraded to a newer laptop.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Replacing the battery in my Dell 7470 was a bit of an issue. The battery wouldnt come out of its bay, then it finally came out and the cable simply wouldnt go in, on top of the battery. Lousy cable design but thankfully the new battery slid in very easily. The old battery may have been swollen but I really couldnt tell.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

I had an employee leave at work that had a Dell XPS 9560. Couple weeks later my boss said to image up the laptop to use as a loaner, opened it and was like "no can do, the touchpad has been ejected out of the body due to how bad the battery swole up after she left.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

The cable in the 7470 is really crap, particularly the connector to the battery itself. Thats one of the issues I have with Ultrabooks as they try to cram things in, any way they can. Much prefer external batteries even though you generally end up with a heavier laptop.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Last night I was using a driver updater and something went wrong on my Dell 7270 with the NVMe drive. Suddenly couldnt boot into Win10 and had to do a system restore to get past the issue. Same drivers had no affect on my other 7270/7470 with SATA drives.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

For Dell, I've found the Dell | Command is the only updater I'll actually trust. I've had major issues with others.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

From what I can discern it had something to do with the driver being compatible with the NVMe drive I rarely have any driver issues.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Finally finished up the upgrade of the Dell Latitude E4310, Went to 8gb of ram and a 256gb ssd. Updated Win10 and added a better wifi card, but Im mainly going to be running Linux on it.
Site Moderator