What hardware are you using?

Discussion of hardware related issues
crosscourt

Re: What hardware are you using?

Post by crosscourt »

Just finished my wifes new Win10 system and shes happily loading her apps and data onto it. The old Win7 Dell I might cleanup and use as an old game system.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Gees, my boss is getting a new HP Pro desktop, 1tb ssd, 8gb ram which I thought should be 16gb myself but not sure which processor.

Shes going to have a better computer than I have, :x
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

I got outbid on everything on ebay, and it's went up high enough (admittedly, i was only willing to go to $85 due to shipping) that I'm not bidding anymore. Oh well.

Here on the 3500 tonight. 3 day weekend, so thinking I'm going to replace Neon on the Thinkpad with Arch again, that way I don't have 3 machines w/ Ubuntu-based distro's vs. only 1 Arch. Still working well with this 3500. Still not the best LCD in the world with the whole TN panel, but otherwise it's a REALLY nice for a 15" laptop. Fast, good specs, and was cheap. And even it's worst point, the LCD, isn't THAT horrible, at least it's still 1080P, so while it has really poor angles and isn't the brightest in the world, it has really good response times and looks ok.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Im on my E6420 using Zorin OS with its recent updates, very nice so far with many excellent features for laptop use.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Getting ready to break down the Dell v130 after my wife stopped using it with Win7. Will do a bit of upgrading and change out the drive and will probably use it at work even though it was released in 2010.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

V130 was one of the few Vostro's I ever liked the design of. Very thin and attractive system. Lost me since they didn't have any decent LCD's available for it, only 1366x768. AT 13.3", for me requires at LEAST 1600x900, preferably 1080P...

Finally got the GeekBench stuff done for the 7400 and the HP Chromebook 13. hw-probe uploads as well. The Chromebook, not surprisingly, lags (heavily) behind even my Latitude 3379, but given it's passively cooled 4.5-watt chip, this shouldn't be shocking. Given it IS a 4.5-watt cpu, the scores are actually quite impressive IMO!!
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

V130 is definitely going to be knock around system for me for now as my wife dropped it once and one of the attach screws on the back was broken so had to get creative to get closed back up.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

So one of the chromebooks I was bidding on had some bids removed, which had me become high bidder again. So I got another Chromebook 13 G1 for $86 + shipping & tax ($105 total). This one's only 8 GB ram, but otherwise identical to the one I already won. So I'll get the Chrome files off it that are needed for sound to work, then flash to mr. chromebox & install probably Arch on it. Then sell it.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Mine only has 4gb but the way I use it and given the lightness of ChromeOS I doubt it matters.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

It'll limit the amount of tabs you can have open still, but beyond that, with ChromeOS, it won't really, no.