What hardware are you using?

Discussion of hardware related issues
crosscourt

Re: What hardware are you using?

Post by crosscourt »

It appears Ive solved all the issues with the Nvidia gpus in my Dell laptops with distros. Typically Ive had more luck with the Nouveau drivers, but this time around it appears the Nvidia 390 drivers have solved the freezing issues. Im continuing to test but it affected my Dell E6400/6420/6430/6440 laptops with Nvidia gpus.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Thought I had it solved but the two E6400 laptops wont boot with Q4OS 4.2 using the same Nvidia driver the E6420 uses and it is compatible with both gpus.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Nvidia gpus just dont like to cooperate and create many issues. Even with the proprietary drivers things dont always go well, particularly with older gpus.
My exp[erience with my Dell laptops withe 8100 and 4200 gpus is very inconsistent between various distros. For users of older hardware be wary of drivers.
Site Moderator
wove

Post by wove »

The dock I ordered for the Pinebook Pro came. It is pretty nice. Unfortunately it came with a bad USB C connector. One needs to wiggle the connector to get it working and if I bump the Pinebook Pro the connection to the dock is lost. It came from China, so I am not sure what hoops I will need to jump through to get it replaced or fixed.

bill
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Thats the reason I dont buy directly from China as theres no recourse with problems. Some of the Chinese vendors sell from USA locations and in those cases returns werent such a problem.
Site Moderator
wove

Post by wove »

Well in this case it is just a cable end, so if push comes to shove all I need to do is pop the dock open and solder on a new cable. In Pine64's last community update, they announced they will be opening stores in North America and Europe this year. It goes on to say the store prices will be ~50% higher than buying direct.

Maybe they will send me a new one, and I can fix this one and have two docks. Maybe they will refund my money and I can put in a new cable and have a dock for $5 and a half hours labor. Or maybe they will do nothing, or ask I return the defective unit, in which case I will just have to say no and fix it on my own.

bill
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Im use to doing capacitors on motherboards but the boards they use with many of these cheaper devices dont take real well to soldering cables or other on them. I did that on a dock of mine and even though it looked like it went well the board suddenly had an issue, more than likely the pathway was damaged.
Hopefully you have better luck.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Tried to do some repairs on a Acer Aspire E15 but what a cheap and poorly designed laptop. You have to open 14 screws to get inside it then remove the motherboard just to replace the ram. After all that work the system had some additional issues and wasnt able to get it to work at all.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Still waiting on my Dell E4300 which is stuck somewhere in shipping and will hopefully show up at some point.
Site Moderator
wove

Post by wove »

Well I got good news, Pine64 just let me know they are going to send me a new dock for the Pinebook Pro. The broken dock was shipped via DHL and got here in 3 days. Here is hoping for the best.

bill