What hardware are you using?

Discussion of hardware related issues
tlmiller

Re: What hardware are you using?

Post by tlmiller »

I like 13.3's mostly. I do like the newer, "infinity edge" and type 14's though. The 7400 (14.1") is actually SMALLER footprint than the 3379 (13.3"). And the 7490 isn't much larger footprint. But the 14's that have big bezels I've kinda grown tired of and prefer a 13.3" if it's going to have large bezels around the LCD.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

I like a bit more screen real estate but I still like smaller screen., The Acer Chromebook right now with its 14" screen has become a favorite.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

So after further thinking, I'm selling the 3379. I'm sick of that keyboard. Found a HP Chromebook 13 G1 on ebay for $115 shipped. M7-6Y75/16GB/32GB/QHD. Doesn't come with a power adapter, but I have 3 spare USB-C adapters, which this only uses USB-C, no barrel adapters anywhere to be found.

With it being a bit older (skylake), it also can take the full mr. chromebox firmware to run "normal" OS's as well, although I fully plan on trying to run ChromeOS on this to see how it is nowadays.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

ChromeOS is a lot better than the first time I tried it. My Acer only has USB 3.0 no USB-C which is fine for me. I didnt think I would like it as much as I have.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

Yeah, that's the big reason I want to try it again. Last time I used it I was left underwhelmed. It really couldn't do much, but with all the new capabilities, I want to try it again.

Also got the ram in for my 7400!!

crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Honestly a Chromebook could do 85-90% of what I need overall.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

According to tracking, the Chromebook should be here tomorrow...so I'll find out. I'm hoping it can, I'd definitely like to be able to use that simplistic of a machine.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Its amazing as I can run Windows apps, Android apps and Linux apps on the same platform very easily. Its very secure and for some people thats a godsend but even with using multiple apps at the same time, the fanless system doesnt slowdown at all. Online multiomedia apps and light gaming even work very well. It takes a change in habits that Im still struggling with a bit but overall good. My Acer Chromebooks wont reach expiration till June 2022 and by then Ill be ready for something with much better abilities. Who knew that I would end up liking it and my wife would move on to Win10.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Might take a look at the Hp Chromebook 13 G1 as well as my wife may change her mind and the size would be ideal for her.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

Well, I don't think it's getting delivered today. FedEx shows it's on the truck, but it's 6:00pm and I haven't gotten it. And about an hour and a half ago I saw a FedEx truck drive past my building, so I think he decided to not deliver.