What hardware are you using?

Discussion of hardware related issues
crosscourt

Re: What hardware are you using?

Post by crosscourt »

Mint Cinnamon worked fine on the fussy Compaq system and so far no unusual issues that did happen with other distros, that in some cases wouldnt run at all.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Been playing with my older systems, Dell XPS 500 with P3 500mhz processor and a Voodoo 3 3000 agp card with 512mb of ram with both Win98SE and DOS,'
Been playing with some older apps and doing some retrogaming but I have used Linux on it but have to use the super Light distros like Tiny Core.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Friend just gave me two 2007FPb Dell Ultrasharp monitors and for a 2007 display, it has a remarkably clear/sharp image quality. I was impressed as it overshadows my HP LA1951G 19" monitor from 2011 in appearance. May have to swap it out and use it for awhile. It also supports up to 1600x1200 versus the HP that prefers 1280x1024. Its able to adjust its height, tilt and the screen rotates both left/right as well as around its axis for portrait needs.

Base is nowhere near as solid as the HP which stands on a large base with an arm that holds the screen that allows for quite a bit of adjustment with the touch of the finger. Havent decided but once I saw the image quality with the 2007FPb I was sold.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Just setup the Dell 2007FPb and its very nice. IT has a native 1600x1200 resolution with excellent clarity with print and excellent image quality with graphics. Ill play a few games to see how it does but the difference is quite striking from my other display.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Dont laugh gang but free is good and this 2007FPb monitor is excellent as I did some gaming with it last night and was very satisfied. I dont use wide screen monitors because I do a lot of older gaming and need this screen aspect to make things work more easily. Its easier for me to just favor the older games rather than trying to do workarounds all the time.

Very pleased and after researching the monitor it sold for $579 back in the day.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Just moved my 2 Dell D430 12" laptops to MX17 as Neptune wasnt running well and got tired of Mint XFCE. Will be shifting the other two with wattOS R10 over to MX17. MX17 sees the hardware so easily and only uses 268mb at boot which with only 2gb of ram is a good thing. Neptune was a bit slow with graphical issues but Mint XFCE ran well but not as good as wattOS or MX17.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

My Compaq system had some problems and wouldnt run. Couldnt find a thing so was about to throw it out and then I spotted something when I was taking the parts out. One of the memory latches broke and the ram was making intermittent contact which must have caused the issue. No repair part for this so
jammed the ram in the slot and used a very small piece of electrical tape and poked it in the other end to tighten what was left of the latch. Seems to work and the system is now back up and running, saved from the dumpster. Reminded me of the old days when we use to do some pretty crazy fixes to save motherboards. Mint Cinnamon is running happily on the system.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

Finished setting up my Yoga 3 Pro for the second time in 2 days. Very nice laptop so far. Yeah, horrid keyboard, but given that I knew that would be the case, I can't REALLY complain.

Also working on my Chuwi. I'm just about fed up with Neptune. I'm not sure WHAT, but something in their pinning or repositories is just OFF. I have ALL the Neptune repos on my Debian install on the Yoga 3 Pro, and they work great. There's no package conflicts, no packages in limbo, it just WORKS. I move to Neptune, and there's packages that want to upgrade to sid for no reason, there's packages that won't install. I've looked through their pinning and repos multiple times, and I just CANNOT figure out what they did wrong...

Currently taking a break from system setup and cleaning up my plasma 5 desktop themes. Installed a couple new ones, and deleted a few that I didn't actually like. I keep a backup of these so that I can quickly install all the themes I like onto any new build system-wide instead of installing as each individual user. Currently using one called Plateau. Interesting colors. I like it.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

My issues with Neptune were issues with the menu, graphical glitches, similar to what I saw with Neon and continued issues with updates.
Its a bit quirky and for that reason its already slipped out of my recommended distro list for now. Issues are happening on systems other than just mine.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

I really like the Neptune repos for a default Debian install, but Neptune as a full distro I cannot say I like very much.