What hardware are you using?

Discussion of hardware related issues
tlmiller

Re: What hardware are you using?

Post by tlmiller »

I actually just sold my E7470 and am working to sell my T430 so that I can hopefully afford to get a Ryzen Moblile device.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

All Ive read about Ryzen attracts me to trying it. Ill wait down the road as i dont have the cash to do it now, but once its out awhile, some used systems will be available and far cheaper.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

Yeah, unfortunately I don't have the cash right now either, ergo my selling a few systems to try to get one. Although honestly I would like to get rid of some sytsems just to get rid of some systems.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Ive got more systems than I had originally planned but wont be getting rid of them just yet till I play with them a bit more.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

The Compaq system even after a mobo/cpu upgrade continues to disappoint. It seems to have issues with a fair number of distros I like to use.

Typically you can spot the issue pretty quickly but this one isnt that obvious.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Resinstalled PCLinuxOS and it worked fine on the Compaq. MX Linux never has an issue with any system, but Neptune 5 also based on Debian Stable will not work on the Compaq, along with Netrunner a Debian Testing distro. Very fussy board and I think its the integrated graphics.
Site Moderator
CaptNoize

Post by CaptNoize »

I upgraded my Dell Optiplex i7 to 16 gig of RAM. I'm running Linux MX17 on it. My HP Pavilion a1710n is running MX17 with 4 Gig of RAM. My old shop computer is an Asus MOBO 1.8 Pentium 4 with 2gig of RAM,running Q4OS Orion 1.8.8 I'm pretty well covered with Desktops. I mostly use a RCA tablet,for just surfing. Now,for my guitars....oh,... that's another topic...LoL..!! :lol:
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

16gb of ram???? Are you gaming or running high end apps? Just curious.

Im running MX17,Neptune and Mint XFCE on most of my systems.

Love MX17 but long term will probably end up running Mint Cinnamon as my permanent replacement for Windows for both my wife and I.
Site Moderator
CaptNoize

Post by CaptNoize »

No gaming yet,or high end apps. A friend of mine,she gave me 8 gig,she had lying around(she fixes computers)for doing a repair on a high end speaker. I haven't tried Mint,only at my cousins business. He has it running with Windows 10.... Not impressed. I'd just rather run MX17....it just works...for me. I know some don't like it....different strokes 4 different folks. :roll:
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Mint is pretty much an install and enjoy OS as it just works. With Cinnamon,Mate and XFCE versions theres something for everybody. Cinnamon is very Windows like but given youre using MX17 not something you need to worry about.
Site Moderator