What hardware are you using?

Discussion of hardware related issues
tlmiller

Re: What hardware are you using?

Post by tlmiller »

Here on my "new" laptop. Samsung Spin 7 13.3". i5-6200u w/ 8 GB (upgradable to 32 GB, going to see if I can find someone to trade my 16 GB sodimm for a 8 GB sodimm to go up to 16 GB) w/ dual ssd's (512 m.2 & 250 2.5").

Found it for sale on Craigslist, guy was willing to consider laptops + $$$ in trade, so traded him my E7450 + $100 for it. The usb-c shows power icon, but apparently it DOESN'T actually support USB-C PD (does support power share so can charge FROM the USB-C when in sleep mode). So in the end, waste of money for me to trade. I can use my dock now, but I still have to plug the laptop in to use it.

Oh well, not a bad laptop, and a bit newer than the E7450. And it DOES at least WORK with the dock, so...there is that. I only own 1 laptop that doesn't work with my dock now.

Overall, nice laptop truth be told. It's a convertible 2-in-1 like my Inspiron, the Latitude 5279, and like the Yoga 3 that I'm selling. The touchscreen works, but I seriously doubt I'll ever use it, just like all the aforementioned laptops. ROSA installed without an issue, and currently downloading updates. Updates are MASSIVELY slow on this OS as every time I've ever updated...

Not sure if I'll actually keep ROSA though. The fact that I can't use Firefox is just too much. It was ok for a week or 2, but it's now been several MONTHS and they haven't fixed it. It's getting to the point where it's simply unforgivable that they continue to leave Firefox in a totally unusable state.
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

Got it! Swapped some ram around on one of the unused Exx70 series latitudes at work. So took the 2x8GB out of there and installed in the SAmsung, put the 1x16GB into it so it still has 16GB. So now have 2x8GB DDR4 in there!!
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Must be nice to have a hardware source like that, :)
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

It can come in handy!!
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

Here on the Samsung with PCLOS tonight. Mostly have it set up. It's missing a few applications I like (sparkleshare being the big one), but nothing that's absolutely essential. They include a dd appliation that seems to be mostly the same as balena-etcher (which WILL NOT install on PCLOS). They're using Strawberry instead of Clementine, so getting more experience with that. Overall, it's functional.

Won't be able to use it for work. With using net-applet instead of networkmanager, openvpn doesn't work. It let me set it up (which usually fails in and of itself), but I absolutely cannot connect.

Still have yet to truly fix the gui. I scaled the fonts down to a size where they couldn't be seen from orbit, I switched to the light theme from the dark and set the window decorations to oxygen to get rid of the mac-esque little dots. Still ugly, although far less. I'll need to get my themes on here to make it look good. But at least I can set and use it without needing go go gadget arms to set far enough away from it to not get headaches.

Not sure if I'll keep it or not. However, even a "not sure" is light years past what I've achieved with PCLOS in the last 3 or 4 years!!
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Glad you got this far, but Im also waiting to see what Mageia 7 final looks like.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

Well, after getting just about everything running....decided that PCLOS wouldn't be a keeper since it's not going to be compatible with work. So here now with the Samsung again, but now running Fedora. Did a Fedora 30 netinstall, built it up to a plasma desktop that I wanted. Everything working, except I can't get autofs to work. I can manuallly mount the shares, I can navigate to the shares through dolphin, but autofs is failing. Odd, will need to post on the Ask Fedora to see if this is normal. VPN set up and working without issue. So I'll probably just put a couple scripts in my documents folder for now to mount/unmount my shares.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Fedora is a no go for me but will wait to see what Mageia 7 final looks like.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

I love everything about Fedora EXCEPT the upgrade pace. PCLOS not working with VPN at all is a killer for me. With my being on call every other weekend, my personal laptop MUST have the ability to vpn to my job in case I need to check on something, or I can't actually go out with it when I'm on call. That would limit my being able to use this one too much (now, PCLOS on my Chuwi...there's a possibility, slow enough I don't like to try to VPN anyway. If I have time this week I might actually do that). Mageia long ago lost me, their repos are too small and they took FOREVER to upgrade anything. I simply got tired of waiting on upgrades that even DEBIAN had pushed out.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

The upgrade pace is exactly why Ill never use Fedora, wont happen. PCLOS isnt my preferred RPM distro right now, ROSA is but Mageia 7 RC was very good.
Site Moderator