What hardware are you using?

Discussion of hardware related issues
crosscourt

Re: What hardware are you using?

Post by crosscourt »

Disappointed that Dell never brought out a bios update beyond the 2018 one for the Dell Inspiron 5676. My Ryzen system seems to have been forsaken with no prospects for better security nor better cpus.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

Not surprising, Dell, much like Lenovo, tends to ignore their consumer-oriented systems far more than their business-oriented systems. Although in my experience they're NOWHERE near as bad as Lenovo at it (who often don't ever release a single BIOS update for consumer systems), unless there's stability issues, they don't bother with it.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Ive got 2021 updates for my 6th gen Latitude laptops yet no updates for a 2 year old Ryzen system, its pretty stupid.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

crosscourt wrote: Sat Feb 19, 2022 2:29 am Ive got 2021 updates for my 6th gen Latitude laptops yet no updates for a 2 year old Ryzen system, its pretty stupid.
Indeed. It's the reason I will NOT purchase anything outside the Thinkpad Lineup for Lenovo, and why I try to avoid anything outside the Latitude line for Dell. However, it's impossible to buy Ryzen if you avoid anything other than Latitudes, since they don't offer any Latitudes with Ryzens.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Thankfully I use the Ryzen system mainly for gaming. Im using the HP Elitedesk G3s as my everyday systems and they have updates from early 2022, even though they are 6th gen systems.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

Lots of BIOS updates for me. Both T14's and the Inspiron got updates recently. Lenovo is starting to offer their BIOS updates via downloadable compressed .cab format for installation via fwupd. Tried it on both, failed on both. Read the firmware successfully, but then gave an error that it was older than the already installed firmware (and gave the downloaded version as the installed, NOT the actual installed). Still, progress!!! Soon might be able to remove geteltorito from my installations.
For now, still used geteltorito with the CD download to do the update.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Bios updates in Linux are a mixed bag depending on the system. Dell made it very easy and it didnt matter what OS you had, but HP is a PITA. Ive had issues with Dell though at times and doing it in Windows was my easiest option.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

The Dells that allow you to throw the BIOS on the /boot/efi partition then just reboot and flash from there I've never had an issue with. Luckily, it's been quite a few years now since they started that, and so it's been a LONG time since I had issues with a Dell BIOS update. Lenovo the geteltorito script still works great, but it hasn't had updates in a long time, so if Lenovo changes anything in their .iso, it would probably break that. I'd love to get them working with fwupd just as it would be easier (no USB needed), but otherwise as long as the geteltorito script works, I'm fine with continuing to use that, not like I don't have USB's out the wazoo.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Id like to see a more standard simple method for bios update so people dont have to jump thru hoops.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

I'd like to see everyone adopt Dell's method on their business lines. I think that's fantastic. Doesn't require any external media, and can be upgraded from any OS that exists.