What hardware are you using?

Discussion of hardware related issues
crosscourt

Re: What hardware are you using?

Post by crosscourt »

Did they deliver it to the wrong address? That happens in my area all the time.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

Nope, they did eventually deliver. On it right now. Had all my information backed up from my old chromebook, which is actually causing more issues than starting from scratch. :D

Got most of it set up though, running nice. This thing is SKINNY. And small. HOLY $#^# I like it on first blush!!!
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

Doesn't support linux apps on this Chromebook. That's a bad thing. However, I can use OnlyOffice and Google apps for office stuff, and most everything else is online anyway. Does support android apps, although I don't care for most of the android apps work. Actually did install OnlyOffice Android app. Uninstalled it and just decided to use the web version. :D

The keyboard is nice. Can't figure out what wifi card it has. Also can't figure out if it has a m.2 SSD or soldered. Might have to open it up. It's quick with ChromeOS, although to be fair, I've never used anything that WASN'T fast with ChromeOS.

So didn't get to use it much tonight, but it's REALLY nice so far. The LCD is incredibly nice, and ChromeOS actually has REALLY nice scaling. So far the only thing I really miss is the ability to get more hardware information. But I should be able to survive.

Tomorrow will be rough. I want to show this to my boss, so I'll take this to work, but I need to take my Thinkpad to work for some reason (I actually can't remember why), and I have to take my XPS with me so I can work. So I'll be carrying 3 laptops tomorrow to work (although the XPS I'll leave at work.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

My Acer Chromebook supports Linux apps by turning on the Linux beta switch in settings as well as Android.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

Yeah, apparently none of the SkyLakes support it yet. Everything newer does, and there's SOME support for it in SkyLake generation, but it's looking like they're not going to bother enabling it for the SkyLakes. Oh well, I'll see how it goes without it, and if it's not sufficient, the specs on this should make a great linux laptop since the full mr. chromebox firmware can be put on here.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Glad I didnt get one as I want the Linux apps.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

Yeah, I'm beginning to think that my original thoughts were right. Without the linux apps, this thing is...useless. There's just too much you CAN'T do with ChromeOS. I'm currently looking to see if I can find replacement rubber feet as they won't survive being removed (they put 11 screws to hold it closed, 5 under the feet), if I find them for a decent price, I'm going to do the write protect screw and just run linux. If not, I'll probably just sell it off. ChromeOS still pretty much worthless without the linux apps feature.
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

Found some rubber that should work. Going to try it. Replacement rubber will be here in a week or so.
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

Arch MOSTLY works. Doesn't detect onboard sound. Other than that, everything's perfect. Going to try GalliumOS now.
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »