What hardware are you using?

Discussion of hardware related issues
tlmiller

Re: What hardware are you using?

Post by tlmiller »

I'm setting in Burger King having some breakfast on my Lenovo Yoga 3 Pro using Rosa R10 connected to my hotspot...so it's working rather well for me so far.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Glad to hear it as Rosa overall is my favorite distro.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

I'm surprised by their repos. The only normal software I use that wasn't in the repos were Etcher, FreeOffice/Softmaker Office, Vivaldi, and qdirstat. k4dirstat is in the repos, so while it has some old dependencies, it'll work (qdirstat is just a fork of k4dirstat that removed KDE dependencies and instead built on pure QT). Etcher is possible to install with the nodeps since the actual packages ARE installed, the packages (but not the actual libraries) are just called something different, Softmaker Office/FreeOffice installs without issues it simply isn't capable of installing the repository for automated updates, and Vivaldi installs but again the repository doesn't work. i-nex in the repos, remmina in the repos, fceux in the repos, glabels, pinta, okteta, kdiff3 ALL in the repos!!
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

I was retrogaming last night and it took me back a bit using my Pentium 2 300mhz with Rise of the Triad and the original Descent. Voodoo 3 3000 card and 512mb of ram.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

OH wow...now that is rather classic. Makes me miss my CeleronA 300 @450 w/ the Radeon 9700 flashed 9700 Pro.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Ive also got a Soundblaster ISA sound card but i also got a Celeron 333 with a Voodoo 3 2000, Soundblaster 64.

Ive got plenty of parts and would love to find socket 7 board at some point. recently got a 440BX board free.

My 3DFX collection is extensive and in the top 5 of collections presently.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Still playing with my Compaq system trying to get it to be a bit more stable. Found a bad capacitor, took care of that, and also adjusted the seating of the motherboard in the case on top of sticking to using a stable distro. Seems to have helped quite a bit.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

Since you mention the capacitor, are you a good solderer, or just passable?
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Im a very good solderer as i did a lot of repairs to motherboards over the years replacing entire sets of caapcitors and also repairs to video cards.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Problems, found another bad capacitor I thought was good initially. System seems very stable now.
Site Moderator