What hardware are you using?

Discussion of hardware related issues
tlmiller

Re: What hardware are you using?

Post by tlmiller »

Yeah, they're still decent machines. My wife still used hers (e5500) until a couple years ago when her nephew broke the screen. The cost of a new LCD was more than you can get a used e5500 for, so I upgraded her to a Thinkpad E450 (with i7/8GB/512 GB/1080p), and she's used that since. Been a FANTASTIC laptop, and was the impetus behind my buying my T430 and then my T450s as well, as it just works so well and reliably for her, even despite it running Windows. And of course has a fantastic keyboard.

I'm heading to play some D&D today and am taking the T450s with me. I've been using the Lenovo's far more. I got a 6-cell secondary (external) battery for this for free (former employee left it when he left, still shows 100% life), so that allows me to get 8+ hours of battery (start with primary + 3-cell secondary, after 90 minutes the secondary is dead switch to the 6-cell which lasts 5 hours and then the primary stat draining quickly but can last another 2-2.5 hours). And the Yoga 3 pro is just SOOOOO slim and lightweight I absolutely love using it. These have become my main 2 laptops.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Have fun!!!! :)

Ill be stripping the d430s for some parts I can use on other systems.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

From what I can remember the E6400 resembles the E5410 in many ways after you mentioning the E5410 was better looking.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

It does, but the outside of the Exx10 is silver instead of black.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Ive actually seen E6400s with silver outside but yes most are black. The E5419 really isnt silver as its the typical dark magnesium color you see with so many Dell business laptops.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Had the E5410 at work today instead of the D430 and what a difference in speed. You notice it more right after you come off of older hardware.
E5410 isnt new hardware either but a far cry better than the D430.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Friend is bringing over the E6400 tomorrow so Ill post back once I get Linux installed, most likely MX17. Might change my mid but given its a core 2 duo 2.26 ghz, I think a lighter distro is a good choice.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Just got the E6400 and it was in amazing condition but havent had a chance to install MX17 yet, so stay tuned.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Just installed MX17 and as usual no problems and all hardware was detected and works. Very few apps to install Chrome,Bleachbit and codecs, thats it.

Resource usage at main screen is 315mb and overall speed is excellent. Its compartable so far to my E5410 with an i3 2.53 even though the E6400 only as a p8400 2,26ghz core 2 duo. Its got 4gb of ram so its plenty for this distro. I love the design of the E6400 as you can remove the bottom panel and get to most of the internal hardware easily including the CMOS battery. DVD-RW works fine and wifi no issues.
Its in amazing condition and I complemented him that he took good care of the unit.
It appears he may have another in similar conmdition with Windows 7 at a similar price, so Ill have to think that one over.
Particularly like the keyboard, nice feel and easy to use.

Nice laptop if youre looking for a good deal as online you can get them for $50 or less.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Decided to buy the other E6400 which has 4gb of ram a larger 160gb hard drive and a 2.53ghz core 2 duo. Its got Windows 7 on it, so I may keep that for the time being after I see how its running. I could use it for tech work or as a backup for my wife.

Very pleasant laptop to use and again Im surprised at the excellent speed of even the 2.26ghz Im typing on now.
Site Moderator