What hardware are you using?

Discussion of hardware related issues
crosscourt

Re: What hardware are you using?

Post by crosscourt »

Yes it is the pentium D system. HP is notorius about not archiving info on systems. It would require a bios update more than likely and their site doesnt have any info at all. Ill probably just see if Linux will install on the present system just for fun as honestly Im well past using older systems at thgis point.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

Well, the positive for it is that P-D and C2D's were DEFINITELY pin compatible. MANY were electrically compatible. The question is does the board have a bios new enough to support the increased bus speed of a C2D over the P-D? And would there REALLY be enough of a performance difference given the age of either chip to make it worth trying?

IMO, if you have one of the C2D's lying around, I'd give it a shot. I mean, at the very least, a single dual core design is DEFINITELY going to be massively better latency than 2 individual cores fused together on a single chip.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Agreed as the Pentium D cpu cores communicated across the front side bus which caused some issues. They are both socket 775 so thats not an issue.

Ill have to check the bios version but honestly I might just turn it into an older game system as I can leave the side off and use whatever video card I want.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Spent the day updating my Win10 and Linux systems. In particular I did a lot of driver updating that Windows isnt very good at presently.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

Same here actually. I wanted to go out, but it's nearly 120 here today (it actually was 120 yesterday in areas), and opening the door at-eased that thought REAL QUICK. :D

Oddly, seems the Flatpak install of Steam has introduced issues with Vega graphics. On all my Vega machines, Steam will no longer launch (Debian nor KDE Neon), while on Navi or Intel it still works just fine. Of course, the Intel graphics are FAR too weak to actually PLAY anything on, while the Vegas I have (Picasso Vega 10, Renoir Vega 7, Renoir Vega 6) are actually quite sufficient as long as I keep the graphics settings at realistic levels. The Renoir Vega 7 especially is actually rather a decent little chip for light gaming (despite having 3 less Vega cores than the older Vega 10, it's something like 45% faster frequency which more than compensates).

Here right now on my Latitude 7400 w/ EndeavourOS.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Low 90s and really humid and oppressive and feeling a little out of it. Might be allergies or a cold but Ive been working on my systems a lot and installed Heroes of the Inner Sphere for Mechwarrior 5.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

Did a little OS/Hardware musical chairs today. Moved the Thinkpad L14 from Neon to Endeavour, and moved the Latitude 7400 from Endeavour to Neon. SUBJECTIVELY speaking, given I kept my /home partition/disk untouched on both installs, Endeavour feels faster than Neon. Neon was actually BOGGING HORRIBLY on the 7400 until I created a little 2GB swap partition and added it, and then after that it did fine (but was only using a bit over 2GB of 32GB ram). Not night and day difference after Neon stopped acting up, but does feel faster. That L14 runs NICELY with Endeavour. I need to start looking at a new battery for the 7400, it used to self-discharge to ~84%, it's now discharging down to ~78% if you let it set 48 hours or more. While it still has probably a year before it gets useless, I really should take care of it.

ON the 7400 now, actually. On the dock, and with the swap (which it's currently not touching) it's running fantastically well. Would love to know what was causing it issues earlier, because it was DOG SLOW...
wove

Post by wove »

I move my /home from distro to distro as well. While that generally works without a hitch, there are sometime anomalies that leave me wondering if it is some kruft in my home folder, or a glitch in the distro. I have noticed several new installs I have done have started with very laggy performance in some tasks, which then disappear after a few hours of up time. I either rightly or wrongly attribute that to caches and databases rebuilding to work with the different distro.
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

wove wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 3:59 pm I move my /home from distro to distro as well. While that generally works without a hitch, there are sometime anomalies that leave me wondering if it is some kruft in my home folder, or a glitch in the distro. I have noticed several new installs I have done have started with very laggy performance in some tasks, which then disappear after a few hours of up time. I either rightly or wrongly attribute that to caches and databases rebuilding to work with the different distro.
Good chance that my issues were exactly this, as well. Because it's been working fantastic since then, and it hasn't touched the swap since then either. Since I strictly use swap files, never swap partitions, I've actually commented it out of fstab this morning and turned it off to see if the issues return or if I can nuke it and be without it again. With 32GB ram on a mere 4 core cpu, simply put I'm going to run out of CPU capability before I'm able to suck down 32GB ram.
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

tlmiller wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 3:19 am Oddly, seems the Flatpak install of Steam has introduced issues with Vega graphics. On all my Vega machines, Steam will no longer launch (Debian nor KDE Neon), while on Navi or Intel it still works just fine. Of course, the Intel graphics are FAR too weak to actually PLAY anything on, while the Vegas I have (Picasso Vega 10, Renoir Vega 7, Renoir Vega 6) are actually quite sufficient as long as I keep the graphics settings at realistic levels. The Renoir Vega 7 especially is actually rather a decent little chip for light gaming (despite having 3 less Vega cores than the older Vega 10, it's something like 45% faster frequency which more than compensates).
Steam updated on Flatpak today, and is working again on everything I have tested on so far, which includes the T495 that it was failing on as of yesterday.