What hardware are you using?

Discussion of hardware related issues
wove

Re: What hardware are you using?

Post by wove »

My internet was upgraded to 25Mbps. I think I now meet the FCC definition of "high speed". That involved them bringing in a new wireless router and we now have wireless "n", which makes internal network traffic much faster.

I took that opportunity to finalize the NextCloud setup on the Raspberry Pi. NextCloud has proven itself to be very useful. My calendars & contacts sync as well as they ever did with Google or MS accounts. My notebook remains synced across machine. Pictures I take on the SurfaceGo can be put on NextCloud and available for all. All of this happens a device that uses 8 watts, which is a real delight. I have waited years to have my own server that did not need a power substation to keep it up and running.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Slowest connection in my area is 60mbps with 120-200mbps commonplace. Comcast is the most common ISP followed by Fios.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

Here the slowest for MY ISP is 150, which is what I have. However, you can still get 1Mbps DSL in the area. And right beside it, you can have 1Gbps. I'm with Cox, and Lumen (nee Century Link, nee Quest) is the other major provider in the area.
wove

Post by wove »

Big difference between metro areas and rural areas. We do not have the infrastructure to support speeds that high. No major companies are in the area. According to our providers we do not have the population density to justify upgrading the infrastructure. The 25Mbps we did get appears to be sufficient for the wife and I. We can both be doing whatever we want on the internet and there is sufficient bandwidth to allow that to happen.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Im running at 120 presently which is great for gaming. DSL is a tough go in my area as they arent maintaining the cooper lines very well and the price for a measly 5mbps is too expensive compared to even Comcasts slowest offering at 60mbps.
Site Moderator
wove

Post by wove »

Over the last couple days I got the PInebook Pro setup with Armbian's take on Ubuntu Budgie. It boots from the emmc with "/" located on a 250GB NVME. It runs very well and is very responsive. I would have preferred a standard Gnome install, but this seems as close as I can get. I essentially uninstalled all the included software and installed or reinstalled what I wanted from flatpak, so all the applications I use are gnome 41 editions.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Post Office lost my SSD but I think we may have worked it out. Lets see if they can deliver it tomorrow. USPS really has become a crap experience.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

Not sure if I mentioned, but I actually managed to sell off all my spare laptops (LAtitude 3500 & Latitude 7410 2-in-1). So I'm under 8 laptops!!
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

I couldnt get your link to work about your current systeme tlmiller.
Ive got the following,
4-Dell 3340
1-Dell 3350
1-Dell 7270
1-Dell 7370
1-Dell 7470
1-Dell 6440
3-Acer chromebooks

Granted some of these systems I use for parts and two of the Chromebooks are running out of support.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

crosscourt wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 6:03 pm I couldnt get your link to work about your current systeme tlmiller.
One of the recent OnlyOffice updates was actually pretty huge and completely changed how it did sharing. Didn't realize it redid it so much that you even had to have new links for sharing files...

But long story short, I have

1 Lenovo Thinkpad T14 Gen2 AMD
1 Lenovo Thinkpad T14 Gen1 AMD
1 Lenovo Thinkpad L14 Gen1 AMD
1 Dell Latitude 7400
1 Lenovo Thinkpad T495
1 Dell Latitude 7490
1 Chuwi GemiBook Pro Gen1

The 7490 i've actually owned for 4 years now. It may be the longest owned laptop I've had this century.